house sold signing papers

johnycarper

We have sold our place and will be complete next February we have done the first papers with the buyers at the notaires,my question is when we go to sign completion is it possible for my wife/ me not to be here. We obviously hope to have brought a place in the uk and it may be that one of us will need to be there in uk to finalize that purchase.

Thanks for any advice,

In fact, neither of you need be there[:D]

Just make sure you have given someone power of attorney to sign on your behalf in very good time.

If you cannot find anyone to do it, you could give the power to someone in the notaire's office (at least you used to be able to, so just check). 

It's better if you can be there. We know of two people who were selling houses with business attached, where the Notaire only raised the amount of CGT liability at the actual signing.It came as a major shock as we we are talking about a converted farm with 2 self converted gites. They came away with £20,000 less than they had expected. It had initially been a £30,000.

They had wrongly assumed that as they live on the site it would all be counted as their residence.In fact they had to pay CGT on half of the sale.