Tractor Mower - Do you think this is a good deal?

ali-cat

We've been following all the posts about ride-on mowers for a while now, as our new house has just over 2 acres of grass to cut.  A friend has just told us their neighbours are about to sell their Castle Garden, twin cylinder mower & asked if we would we be interested.

It's got a 120cm cut, 20hp, B&S engine & has been fully serviced.  They are asking €2800 & will deliver.  I've "googled" the make & comparible models are retailing around £3000-£3500 new.

It's more than we hoped to spend & is probably a better model than we need - but we're tempted to push the boat our for it, rather than buy something much smaller & cheaper & then regret it!!  Should we go for the most we can afford, to make our grass-cutting life easier (well easier for Mark, that is!! [Www])

Chez, I've read your posts about importing from the states.  Unfortunately, we will need to buy one in the next few days & I wondered if anyone thought this offer of a second hand one was a good deal, or should we go for a brand new one that may not be as "all singing & dancing", but a similar price.

How many hours has it done - normal, domestic use or has it been cutting a golf course full time for the last 2 seasons?

Has it been serviced and had regular oil changes?  What condition are the belts?  Are the blades good and run true?  Does it start easy?  Do the tyres still look new?

Why are they selling?

Lots of questions, but could by a good buy, its your decision, just be cautious.  I'd go in at half new price (2004) and see what happens............

I would think a lot would depend on the condition, hours of use, service and maintenance. I know that I buy mid priced ordinary mowers and if I'm lucky they will last 18 months. Land is uneven and they take quite a bashing. 1st mower (Mountfield) wheel broke with a few uses. Latest one (quite a bit more expensive) and the handle bracket fractured last year (metal fatigue as the quite thick metal broke). Thus, so much would depend on how its been used (not just how well they looked after it).

Ian

We've decided that it would not be the best choice to go for the 2nd hand mower - it's over our budget & there seem to be a lot of similar spec ones, much cheaper & with a warranty.  Now we just have to decide which one!!

Also now considering the US option!!  But what happens if it breaks down - would it have to go back to the States or would a French dealer cover the cost of repairs?  Sorry if this sounds very basic - but we don't want to be getting this terribly wrong!!  [:$]