Is Glyphosate weed killer safe for wildlife?

WJT

My husband uses glyphosate weed killer fairly frequently to spray weeds on our gravelled areas including the drive. Also someone suggested we should spray it around some fruit trees we have in a small orchard to make cutting the grass easier and the tops of stone walls bordering grass.

I haven't thought about it being dangerous too much until this suggestion was made because it would take a lot of spraying. Does anyone know if it does any harm to wildlife? I know it is considered safe for humans, we have many lizards that spend much of the day on the gravel and of course the birds and other animals, including our dog.

This is the Main Ingredient in Weedol (or used to be, I don't have a garden now so don't have to use it).

As far as I am aware once it has dried/sucked up on the plants being killed it's safe for Wildlife.

Domestic animals can wander about freely without fear of being poisoned.

Provided any animal does not or is not likely to eat anything that has been sprayed then they will be fine.

David

Of course it is harmful to wildlife and humans, it's a chemical that destroys living cells by whatever means, it also uses a large percentage (up to 85%) of other agents to help it stick and make it easier to spray etc, these are even more harmful, many with carcinogenic properties.

There is no such thing as a man made herbicide, fungicide or pesticide that is "safe", some are just less harmful than others.

Chris