What is wrong with my Willow? (Pics)

WJT

I was hoping someone here may have an answer or a suggestion for a problem with a very poorly willow that has been this way since we bought the property here in France in June 04. Last year I cut dead wood out and this year it is no better and there is new dead wood and the leaves are yellow again. I assume it is a young weeping willow.

Sorry the photos are not very good, I just took them moments ago and the way the sun is shining on the tree it is hard to see the yellow leaves. Does anyone have any suggestions?

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/HIF/P1010001.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/HIF/P1010005.jpg[/IMG]

The tree looks as if it has dried out, and willows need to be in a damp spot. I think it has been planted in the wrong place, on a slope where any water drains away. If I'm right I don't know what you can do about it. Too late to transplant.

Hi WJT

I agree with Pat, I have several willows and it looks like this one is just starved of water, it looks as if it is able to start off new growth in the spring when there is more moisture in the ground but has struggled to make any new growth since, willows if planted in the right place should have growth right down to the ground within about 5 years, this one does not look like a very young tree but one that has struggled most of  its life.

I had this trouble with the first two trees I planted many years ago, I had a new garden that was very heavy clay and my young weeping willows struggled for at least 3 years and I had to water them every summer, then eventually their roots took hold and they were away, beautiful arching branches right down to the ground, so I think if you can not trans plant it to somewhere with more moist soil give it another year or so with plenty of water and if that doesn't work and it remains an eyesore I would take it out.

Good luck

Jackie

Thank you Patf, that makes sense. I adore weeping willows so it is very sad to think that it is a lost cause and it doesn't have a chance. Perhaps I will try to water it which won't be easy to do every day because it's probably over 100 metres from the hosepipe but worth the effort if I can save it. [:(]

Hi Jackie, I have just seen your post, thank you for the information as well. It is a very small for a willow but quite a large tree to transplant. Unfortunately, we have many damp areas in the garden so why this spot was chosen is beyond me. I will have a look tomorrow and see how we could possibly move it. On my own at the moment so will have to wait until my husband is here, in the meantime I will water it. Thank you again. 

Just a thought[I].  Whilst you still have some bits growing, might be worth breaking off a branch and literally sticking it in the ground (damp area).  I remember these things taking route from sawn off logs in the UK area I used to live - now considered a flood plain. Perhaps try several, large and small, some with rooting powder?

Oooh thank you George, that would be wonderful if I could make that work! I will pick up some rooting powder tomorrow. I've never done anything like that before so fingers crossed I can do it.

Unfortunately, for the dying willow, I managed two trips with the watering can and gave up, it just felt like a drop in the ocean. It also looks as if it may be very difficult to transplant. [:(]

I'm sure there are many out there more capable than me, but if you have enough healthy material try a few different types eg break a piece roughly, cut another just below a node, don't include too much foliage or it will lose moisture too quickly I think.  Material can range between say small 3" to 24" or more.  Plant them all closely at first so you can keep an eye on them which helps keeping them watered.
It is I believe one of the easiest trees/shrubs to root.
Beware though you can get hooked on this sort of thing.

Anyone else have any tips, ideas or corrections?

I just may get hooked George. I adore weeping willows so it sounds like heaven to be totally surrounded by them.  I am aware that they shouldn't be planted too close to the house because they can do damage however their need for water could help us in many areas on our property. Thank you again, I am looking forward to my new addiction. Fingers crossed it works for me. [:)]

I can vouch for the propensity of willow to root when cut.

I wanted to make a small weaved screen and my neighbour kindly let me have some willow branches he had cut back from the edges of his field. I did not use all the bundles and when I came to move them a few weeks later, the lower branches had already started sending roots down into the soil!

OK, so hopefully I will be able to find some rooting powder and I plant some branches tomorrow.  How long do I have to wait until they look like this? [:)]

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/HIF/define-weeping-willow-1.jpg[/IMG]

A wee while WJT![;-)]

You don't need rooting powder, I pruned back some branches on a regular willow & a twisted willow & they took just pushed into the soil, no problem. It seems they just want to grow. I went to a garden plant sale in the UK a while back & they were selling small willows in pots for £10 each, when talking to the lady, she said that's all she did. Very nice, a tenner a pop for prunings!! [:-))]

Jay Jay, I have been in garden centres here in France looking for one and none seem to have any, I guess the fact that they are so easy to grow explains it. Being a tree I thought they would cost well over €50. [:$]

My previous post was obviously a joke but it is sad that I probably won't see them like the photo in my lifetime. In any case, I will be giving it a go tomorrow. Thanks again for all of the advice.

They grow about a foot a year & of course, it depends on how big a cutting you take! [;-)] If you want a twisted willow cutting, then let me know.

I must admit, as we have 3 in the garden, I've never looked in the garden centres here, although, I would have thought they would sell bigger ones. Maybe it is because they're easy to grow, but they would be a money maker!!