What is this tree?????

mike151

This large tree is on the edge of our land in a forest, the leaves are almost identical to that of a Mountain Ash, the fruit is small (about the size of a conker) and tastes sweet and the flesh is like a pear. Does anyone know what it is ????????

Dosen't sound like a quince tree. Quince are impossible to eat without being cooked (the only fruit?) and are normally much bigger than conkers.

I'm intrigued - is it bearing fruit at the moment? Seems a bit late.

Does anyone else here have a neflier? Ours are in bloom right now - they look great.

This sounds very much like a True Service Tree-Sorbus domestica which has small pear shaped reddish fruits which are edible. The  leaves are very similar to the Rowan-Sorbus acuparia.  Rowan only grows on acid soils, whilst S. domestica prefers limestone or other base rich rocks. It is a very rare native in the UK (identified for the first time in 1993), but in France is not uncommon in the right habitat.

I hope this helps.

Mark G

It sounds like the same type of tree we have in our garden, which was laden with fruit until a month ago.  The fruit was round, golden yellow with a pinkish tinge, and very soft, with no stone, and about the size of a mirabelle.

We asked our neighbour what the fruit was, and he said frêne.  I checked it in the dictionary, it means ash, and it does look like an ash tree.

Hoddy

The article you highlight actually refers to the Wild Service Tree-Sorbus torminalis (not S. domestica). This is a similar but much more common species in the UK (& France) and grows mainly in ancient woodland. It has smaller harder brownish berries while the leaves have only 3-5 paired lobes.

Mark G

• 4 months later...