climbing rose

mooky

[quote user="Gemonimo"]Not sure about a climbing rose, Mooky, but a climbing hydrangea will do very well.  [/quote]

I agree, Geranimo. Hydrangea petiolaris is a perfect climber for a north facing wall. Stick it in and off it goes - no supports neccessary.

Mooky, there are climbing roses that will do well on a north facing wall.

Zephirine Droughin is one that's been recommended to me by someone who has one in that exact position. [:)]

I have 4 suggestions for you.

Felicite Perpetue............creamy white flowers, semi evergreen, performs best with minimal pruning and tolerates poorer soils and light shade and may be grown on a north facing wall.

Mme Alfred Carriere..........milky white flowers, very hardy, reliable and tolerant of a north wall, though blooms less freely.

New Dawn..........Pearly pink flowers and tolerates a north wall.

Zephirine Drouhin............deep cerise flowers, prone to mildew but risk is reduced on a west and north wall, where it can thrive.

I'm no rose expert though, i've just looked in my book!............but you can check them out on the internet to find further info i'm sure. Happy Gardening

one of the best rose producers in France is Andre Eve his family has been in the business for well over two hundred years.  He was a web site but at the moment cannot find it but Google will find him.  Been dealing with him for years both in the UK and here now in France.

• 2 weeks later...

They like rich, fertile, composty soil. If  your soil isn't, then try and work as much compost in with it as possible before planting.

I'd put it in the ground now, rather than keep it in a pot.

They take a while to establish, in my experience - you may not see any flowers for two years - but once they settle they romp off.