UK married - which regime would we be in France?

minnie

Thanks all for your advice. I suspect that what Norman said is right. I, too, feel that I've read that somewhere along the line. I don't think marriage regimes were discussed with the notaire as we bought "en tontine" at the time (in total ignorance of other alternatives).

[quote user="minnie"]Thanks all for your advice. I suspect that what Norman said is right. I, too, feel that I've read that somewhere along the line. I don't think marriage regimes were discussed with the notaire as we bought "en tontine" at the time (in total ignorance of other alternatives).[/quote]

You are considered to be under 'separation des biens ', but I believe that under the Hague convention on marital rights,  if you were married after  1 sept 1992 , then after 10 years residence in France you fall automatically under the french 'regime legal' which is basically 50/50 for all assets acquired after marriage. If you don't want this you can make a simple notarised declaration for your UK regime to stay in place.

Ask your notaire to confirm , if this applies to you.

Thanks Parsnips, We have established "separation des biens", but the fact is that it's not crucial for the form we were filling out. However, what you say is interesting as we were married in 1995 and celebrate our 10th anniversary of living in France this month....very appropriate and worth remembering for future reference.