Cash crop ideas

oldgit72

Hi,.

I have an unused plot of land about 20m wide by around 400m long (yes I know it's a wierd shape) that I am looking to put into production. I am thinking of planting an avenue of nut producing trees. Can anyone give advice on what would be suitable? We are in the Charente.

Thanks

Oldgit, if they're for your own use, it depends on how old you are.  Walnuts take a good few years to come to maturity, hazel nuts grow and mature much quicker.  Fruit may be an option but the usual proviso, if you grow them as a cash crop, that is to sell, you'll have to be registered to do so.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]Oldgit, if they're for your own use, it depends on how old you are.  Walnuts take a good few years to come to maturity, hazel nuts grow and mature much quicker.  Fruit may be an option but the usual proviso, if you grow them as a cash crop, that is to sell, you'll have to be registered to do so.[/quote]

Thanks Tony. I've had some success in my garden area with hazel cuttings which appear to have rooted  over the winter so this could be an option. Do you have any further info, particularly on registration and also where I can research grants that may be available for small scale production of this kind? I have read that some types of walnut can fruit productively after about 4/5 years about the same for hazels I believe. If I remember correctly, there was an episode of "no going back" or some similar programme about 6 years ago that featured a family that bought a hazelnut farm in your part of the world. I think thats where I must have got the idea from.

I think that if you're in a fairly rural area a trip to your Mairie would be the best place to start.  One of our local councillors is also a member of the local farming oversight committee and she knows all about grants etc so talk to your local farmers.

Clair may have a link or two for you if she reads this thread.

I grow cob nuts here in the Uk, and have moved some seedlings to our garden in the Vienne where they are doing well, like grass they are for personal use,[:$] but since the squirrels here seem to suffer from dementia, if you would like some seedlings when I am next over?......