"House Hunt in France" on ITV1, Tuesday 30th at 3pm English time, 4pm France time

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The off peak time the programme is shown and the fact it is specific to a certain region, would indicate it is an infomercial, for which ITV is being paid to show, as it is unlikely they would commission this type of programming in the current economic environment!

The most recent Place in the Sun programmes appear to have been made back in 2008, as at the end of the programme they give the date exchange rates are taken.

There you have it.  We (ladies, that is) watch television if we have something else to do, such as knitting or taking up trousers. [:D]

This programme is getting rather addictive as I'm trying to spot the French person - and there were none today (I think).  At the end of today's episode, it did seem as if it were a commercial for British estate agents in France.  None of them has slipped up yet or said anything rude.  I did like the comment that people arrive knowing no French.  That made me chuckle.  But then I live in an area of 50 square miles where you can count the number of Brits (other than holiday makers) on one hand or possibly two.

I can't see tomorrow's, which is a shame.  Is it being repeated?

[quote user="Kitty"]There you have it.  We (ladies, that is) watch television if we have something else to do, such as knitting or taking up trousers. [:D]
This programme is getting rather addictive as I'm trying to spot the French person - and there were none today (I think).  At the end of today's episode, it did seem as if it were a commercial for British estate agents in France.  None of them has slipped up yet or said anything rude.  I did like the comment that people arrive knowing no French.  That made me chuckle.  But then I live in an area of 50 square miles where you can count the number of Brits (other than holiday makers) on one hand or possibly two.
I can't see tomorrow's, which is a shame.  Is it being repeated? [/quote]

I was told to watch by friends whose property was the finished renovation today, (he appeared briefly on the scaffold) and everything is totally true, that is how it is, but I have to say I'm almost bisous'd out, definitely ''Carry on up the smiley smiley Anglais Agent''[:)][:D][:P]

[quote user="Kitty"]There you have it.  We (ladies, that is) watch television if we have something else to do, such as knitting or taking up trousers. [:D]

[/quote]

I've finished taking the trousers up, so started sewing buttons on and taking in some shorts. I had to concentrate more today to make sure I got the needle through the holes - so saw even less!  [:D]

But it's not TUESDAY today, is it?  I thought it was THURSDAY!

Blimey, I know I don't often know the date or even the day of the week but I happen to know that today is Thursday.  Why? Because I know that I went to our other house on Tuesday and the dog had her toiletage appointment yesterday, Wednesday, so today, by my (admitted convoluted) reckoning is Thursday, n'est-ce pas?

So, please either tell me when this programme is being shown or at least tell me today is definitely Thursday or, alternatively, that I have now lost my marbles completely.

Sweets - it has been on all week at 3pm UK time and 4pm French time.  So there is another programme tomorrow (Friday).

So far, even though people are buying properties in France, there has been one French man seen (a mayor who uncorked some champagne bought by the agent representing some lottery winners) and fewer than 10 French words spoken and at least 4 of those were Bonjour (pronounced bon-dewer as only the Brits know how).

It gives the impression that every house 45 mins east of Bordeaux is owned, sold or bought (or all three) by Brits.  So it's compulsive viewing (with some sewing. knitting or ironing to hand).

P.S. If I won close to £1 million on the lottery or on Ernie, I would spend more than 150,000 euros on a house...

P.P.S. Does anyone do the Pools now-a-days?

So did you watch it, Sweets?  I managed to catch the last 30 minutes.  It really was one long advert.  Infuriating.  It had such promise as an interesting subject but glossed over all the problems.  Tax?  Building permissions?  Problems with contractors?  Lack of capital growth?  It was unrealistic.

[quote user="Kitty"]  glossed over all the problems.  Tax?  Building permissions?  Problems with contractors?  Lack of capital growth?  It was unrealistic. [/quote]

How can I put this Kitty, probably a sales career as an Estate Agent in France is not what you're cut out for . . .[Www]

Today I caught the programme for the first time.

Were they mad, the couple who were supposed to be looking for a holiday home already renovated?  If they go ahead and buy the "ancient" farmhouse they'll spend their holidays for the next few years in physical work and frustration. But nothing mentioned about that. Unless they would go down the road of hiring people to do it for them.........and manage that from UK.

I wondered why the already converted house and barn shown were being sold. Nobody seemed to ask. Also wondered how long the properties shown had been on the market.

It wasn't even interesting to watch, just like all the other progs about buying houses in towns, in the country or anywhere else. It was the hard sell, France (or SW France anyway) being the goods.

Hi all,

Boring, Boring, Boring show.............and that voice over, what drugs is she on !!!!!!

But, what we musn't forget is that it MAY be of use or interest to people who are trying to sell their homes in the South West regions of France, or anywhere in France for that matter (for whatever reasons) at a time when we all know its Bloody Hard going.

We moved over here this year and have been lucky to have had many bookings for our Chambres D'Hotes, anything that encourages people to visit, stay, buy, etc can't be a bad thing.

Can it ???????

Mel.

Yes, Kitty, I did watch.

And, Frecossais, I think the couple looking for the holiday property and were related to the estate agent weren't genuine customers and were roped in to appear on the programme.

Am I being cynical? Well, not really.  I had some friends who lived in Cognac who were friends of an estate agent there and they were doing a programme about a house on which the TV company had spent £10k, the improvement being a sort of prize for the eventual buyers.  My friends had to go around the house, being filmed and pretending to be buyers.  So, you see, I speak from inside information![:P]  Plus, I smelt a rat![6]

As for the cost of the renovation being estimated at  £87k?!  Not even in your dreams, I would venture to suggest.  A large, U-shaped, falling down farmhouse could be totally renovated for that sum?  Yeah, yeah, pull the other one....

I don't disbelieve that, Sweet 17.

Do you remember a series about two men buying a house together, Nigel and Nippy? They were supposed not to have a lot of money, well Nigel at least, but he was the producer of the show, and of course it all worked out beautifully in the end. I reckon the programme makers "made a donation" there too.

But what perfectly ghastly sorts of people seem to be buying  in France now.

Wide boys and their Barbara Windsor molls.

I met a couple last week well worse for wear on jugs of rosé who didn't know the difference between Rimbaud and Rambo...[:-))]

Why don't they stick to Spain?

[quote user="NormanH"]But what perfectly ghastly sorts of people seem to be buying  in France now.
I met a couple last week well worse for wear on jugs of rosé who didn't know the difference between Rimbaud and Rambo...[:-))]
[/quote]

I'm very in to rosé, Norman and I know who Rimbaud was - but not Rambo, although I suppose I could google it. But does that mean I shouldn't have bought in France?  [:)]

[quote user="NormanH"]But what perfectly ghastly sorts of people seem to be buying  in France now.
[/quote]

Norman, why do you pick on people who buy in Spain?

We looked at Spain and I was very taken with a house just south of Valencia.  I really liked the city and I went to a wonderful Gaudier Ensemble performance in that concert hall by the diverted river bed there.

I even got myself a job but we decided we'd look at France before finally making up our minds.  Once we touched land in St Malo on our first trip together, we were smitten.

BUT, I bet I'd have been just as happy if we'd opted for Spain......[:P]

Barbara Windsor and Dolly Parton both are blondes with big busts , however , they are not dumb blondes!

Any young lady aspiring to the success of these two "gals" above, would be loved and admired by many!

ps.

I would be delighted if a "wide boy " bought my  house