Kiwi Fruit

CeeJay

I planted a male and a female Kiwi fruit 3 years ago and labelled each accordingly. Sods law dictates that the labels blew off and one of the plants died!

The remaining plant is growing very vigorously but I do not know if it is a male or female. So far no fruit, but that could be because it has not been fertilised, if it is a female, or else it is a male!

Is there any way of sexing the remaining healthy plant?

Sorry but the only way I could think of, for sexing the plant, is by their flowers, which are different. I hope someone can tell you more, and that there must be some other way.

I have had 3 kiwi plants, bought and planted 7 years ago (one male, surrounded by 2 females). I regret to say that for several years, only the male plant flowered (so, no fertilising possible). I was then told that it takes 6 years for kiwis to start bearing fruit.

Last year was the 7th year. For the first time, one of the females flowered, slightly later than the male [:D]

But I still did my best to fertilise the female plant by carrying pollen from the male flower to the female, etc...

THEN I had....4 fruit.

This last year, neither male or female bother to flower at all![:(]

I hear now from other people's experiences (even locals) that kiwi plants are very unreliable, and that there are many duff ones. So, for me, back to the drawing board.

On the other hand, I pass at least 2 gardens where the kiwi plants are overladen with fruit and very strong kiwi plants. The owners say they do nothing, it just happens.[:'(]