Gardening costs

Frecossais

Working on the assumption that there isn't someone local who you know who could just come by and use your own mower etc, then you're looking to employ a pukka jardinage firm.

In that case, given that they've got to come along with the proper equipment and then dispose of all the cuttings / do a general tidyup, I'd say c.€300. That's simply on the basis of a day's work.  

I don't know the climate in your area but if you left the grass uncut until May here in the Vendee then the grass is likely to up to your waist!! So as suggested bu the previous poster you will be looking to use a professional paysagiste  that has expensive industrial equipment and they don't come cheap. Into the bargain your grass will look horrible. If you could find someone near you to go in once a fortnight and go over it with a normal lawnmower probably cost you about 25 euros a visit, if your grass area is not that big. probably cost you about the same but you should have a nice lawn instead of a field will also help to get rid of those stubborn weeds too. Little and often, better in my book.

Tim

The national rate for a peysagiste will be around €30/hr with his/her own equipment.  The actual time will depend on the machinery used (ride on or walk behind mower) the size of the lawn and its flatness,  the number of beds and shrubs and what you want done with the clippings.

As a rough guide look at how long it takes you normally; if you are using a walk behind mower his time will be roughly the same.  If he/she uses a good ride on the time would be about half your time.

Bigger companies usualy have bigger overheads and may well charge TVA whereas someone registered as a micro enterprise will not add TVA.

Grumpy

Thanks for all the ideas and opinions. Some of those prices made my eyes water. Normally hubby undertakes the work himself, luckily with a sit-on mower and it's about a 3 day job, but that's because he has to cut 3 times to get it right down. (Yes Tim, our grass is almost as high as the proverbial elephant's eye!) I just hate the first few days after our arrival, as I'm involved raking and piling up grass cuttings to take over to the dechetterie. As our neighbours are elderly or working, we don't feel we can ask them. I'm afraid it's going to be down to us.  Thanks again.

Assuming grass is knee / thigh high, and you have about 3000sqm, that would take me around 1.5 - 2 hrs to cut and collect, leaving cuttings there in a nice neat pile in the corner. Cost, around 100€ + TVA (but I am in The Dordogne and would charge travelling there and back! Hope this helps

Steve