Shallots

Dodger253

I have read that shallots can be planted in the autumn, however, I have only ever seen shallot sets available in February to plant in Feb/March/April. Would shallot sets bought in Feb keep until the autumn do you think? I would expect them to go soft or sprout? That being the case how does one get shallot sets for autumn planting?

[quote user="Dodger253"]I would expect them to go soft or sprout? That being the case how does one get shallot sets for autumn planting?[/quote]

Once you have grown your own crop you can save your own sets for the following season, planting them in autumn or spring as you prefer.  They will not sprout or go soft if kept dry and cool.

I don't know what your soil is like at the moment, but to be honest I wouldn't even think about planting shallots yet. Our ground is still cold and more to the point very wet and anything planted would rot before it could grow. I don't plant out onions or shallots until about the end of March, depending on the weather; last year it was well into April but I still had a good crop.

Soil is currently damp but certainly in no worse condition than I would have planted onions and shallots back in the UK. I intend to plant my shallots asap and probably follow up with a second lot at the end of March. This year is a bit of learning curve for me as it is my first season vegetable gardening in the Creuse.