Lawn mowing dilemma

mint

As you'd know, we've bought a new tondeuse and so the lawns are due to be cut.

However, we do have some wonderful cowslips and violets which are so pretty and are such a joy to us.

What do you do in your gardens?

Do you know of any selective weedkiller that will kill weeds but not these beautiful plants?

Do you mow around them, not mow at all or what?

ViVienne, you're right about the wild flowers. In our "parc" in 17, we have lots of them, including orchids.

Here in 24, the garden is not big but I have never seen so many cowslips in a small space.  I adore cowslips.  I don't know about now, but when I was a keen rambler back in the UK, cowslips were becoming almost extinct.

I can't bear to lose any of these flowers now they have come as something of an unexpected blessing.  As for the violets!  Just so very pretty.

OH has given the grass its first cut but he has left as many of the flowers as he could.

Way to go Sweets.  In anycase, the flowering season of cowslips etc is quite short so enjoy them while you can then mow them when they have died back.

Incidently, be careful if using 'weed n' feed' on your lawn as it will do an efficient job of killing off these lovely wild flowers

Yes, no weed killers of any kind.  Violets seem to withstand mowing but cowslips won't.  It is also important to let cowslips produce their seed before mowing so that fresh plants come on to replace those that will naturally die.  The flower stems really need to have die back before you mow.  This is a pain when mowing, but worth it in the long run for the wonderful display of flowers, and the mowing itself should help to disribute the seed.