Mirabelle de Nancy

Pierre ZFP

At the weekend I spotted Mirabelle de Nancy trees on sale, they looked healthy, a good size (more than 2 metres tall) and only €9.90

I was going to get one for planting in Pas-de-Calais but for various reasons I didn't have the time so I didn't get one.

So, today I mentioned this to a colleague who said it was not possible to grow them in PdC as they were a speciality of the Lorraine region and would not grow elsewhere.

OK she was just pulling my leg but what she meant was that these trees need sex to produce fruit and I would need 2 trees as a minimum.

I'm not sure this is so and if I bought 2 trees there would not be 1 male and 1 female surely, and how could I tell?

Does anyone know if these are self-fertile?

I've Googled as usual but I can't find an answer, I'd love to grow these as I'm hopelessly addicted to the gorgeous fragrant little round fruits.

They grow ok here in 56(near Pontivy) because I picked some last year and made some GREAT jam.

My sister living near Limoge has loads that she picks.By the way,the ones I picked last year were from one tree.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]what she meant was that these trees need sex to produce fruit and I would need 2 trees as a minimum… I'm not sure this is so and if I bought 2 trees there would not be 1 male and 1 female surely, and how could I tell?[/quote]

Yes, the question of fertilization always needs to be addressed when planting fruit trees  -  but I think that your colleague has slightly misled you as to what the question actually is.

Nearly all our familiar trees fruits are both male and female (monœcious).  That is, each tree produces both pollen and ova.

The problem which arises is not one of boy tree + girl tree;  it is rather the problem of 'incest'  -  that is, that there are many fruit trees (designated 'self-sterile') which are extremely or entirely reluctant to be fertilized by pollen of the same variety, and which require the presence of some other compatible pollinator. 

There are other fruit trees which tolerate, at least to some extent, pollination from the same variety ('self-fertile').  Mirabelle, happily, is considered at least to some extent self-fertile.

So, the issue of having two Mirabelles is not in itself relevant.  Each tree should be to some extent capable of producing fruit, with their own and each other's assistance.  Their productivity will almost certainly be enhanced, however, by the presence in the general vicinity of other plum-type trees, including wild ones, which may provide other and more efficacious pollination.

Since the bees have a flying range of several miles, the 'vicinity' in which other pollinators might be found is quite a large one.  If, on the other hand, you wish to play it safe and buy a variety of plum which is reputed to be a good pollinator for Mirabelle, then a good nurseryman's cataogue will provide that information.  (I find this one helpful :   http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk).

PS  I should perhaps have added that I have just planted a single Mirabelle myself, and have made no particular provision for pollination.  There is a neighbouring 'Dittisham' plum, and a damson, and a few nearby sloes and bullaces in the hedges, which I hope will be adequate.

Thank you for your very helpful reply, botany was never my strong point.

Although there are no plum trees nearby that I know of there are plenty of sloes and (I think) damsons.

For 10 bucks it's got to be worth a try and if the yields are not so good, it is an excuse to buy a plum tree as well !  [:D]