Gardening in Lower Normandy

Laurier

In between looking around different areas for property for myself, I am helping a friend establish his garden in the Orne.

The area does have severe winters so am looking for some advice on suitable plantings which will withstand the climate.

Does anyone know of a suitable book or literature with suggestions on frost-hardy plants for the region?

I have been following similar principles to the UK as the climate is fairly comparable but would like to find some info specific to the region, if possible.

Thanks

Laurier

• 2 weeks later...
We live on the borders of the orne and mayenne. As you say the area is fairly comparable to the UK. Depending on where you are in the Orne, why not visit some of the open gardens. One I love in particular is Le Jardin Retire in Bagnoles de l'orne. It is open throughout the summer friday - sunday 10:00am till 6:00pm, 3 euros entrance fee but well worth the visit and Annie the owner will give you a tour or you can wander around the '14 rooms' by yourself.

www.lejardinretire.fr/

Regards, Chris

Laurier, I forgot to add that she also sells a few plants that are grown in the garden so a good recommendation for the area. It's a pity you missed the yearly plant fete at the chateau in bagnoles last weekend however, at the end of september I can recommend a very good plant fete weekend at Ceauce. This one includes plants, shrubs, trees, garden ornaments and small stalls selling allsorts or handmade things and then when you are spent up and weary, you can sit alongside the pond having bought a sausage bagette, frites and a drink alcoholic or not to end a very good day! Now you know what we get up to!!

Regards, Chris