Housebuyers

mint

If I were buying a house now, I would be tempted, or at least seriously consider, changing, say, 50% of the funds now.

Why?  With the exchange rate at 1.1532 (dizzying heights, really!)......

When did we last see rates like these?  Can't remember as it was too long ago... 

LOL, that is a daring post. I was speaking to someone at an FX company the other day and they rather thought that the euro was going to weaken. But if they were really a devin, they'd not be working, but rich as Croesus, nez pah?

Well, id, that's why I said change 50%!  That way, you hedge your bets a bit.  Only 50% exposed and whichever way it goes you gain or lose on ONLY 50%!

NOT that I myself want to change any money in a hurry.....[8-|]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

With the exchange rate at 1.1532 (dizzying heights, really!)......

When did we last see rates like these?  Can't remember as it was too long ago... 

[/quote]

It was only 6 months ago - March average rate 1.1541

it just feels longer[;-)]

Is that right, tinabee, only last March?

You're right it does feel a lot longer......in fact, it feels like the really, really distant past.  Anyway, since my post, it's back down to 1.14 something.

I reckon it's been more troughs than crests in the last 3 years, don't you think?

Still, we bought last October and, you know, sometimes, you just have to grit your teeth, grasp the nettle or whatever other painful manoeuvre you need to do and JUST DO IT, like the Nike advert says!

Maybe I should give you all a warning when I need to transfer euros into £'s, because I have never had any of these what you would call terrible rates, which would be great rates for me. No matter when I decide, it is always with a stronger ¨£.

• 3 weeks later...
With something as unpredictable as exchange rate movements, staggering the conversion often makes sense, assuming you are talking large enough sums to make it worthwhile when charges have been taken into account.

The exception is when you have contractual sum to pay in the other currency on a fixed future date. There is a lot to be said for converting and putting the currency aside when you know you can afford it rather than risk the embarrassment of the rate moving so much against you that you are left unable to meet the commitment when the time comes to pay.

Affordability, yes, indeed, AZ, that is exactly the crucial point to bear in mind.

As you say, if you are contracted to pay, then it makes no sense to hang about to extract the last little decimal of advantage.  Best to get the money in and be sure of your purchase.

Last year, I changed money in 3 lots and sent them to the notaire, after notifying him of my intention, in order to be absolutely certain we'd secure the house.  The rate was very unstable and I wasn't going to be caught out red-faced.

Why did I send it to the notaire instead of keeping it in our French bank?  Well, I had read on this very Forum of people who'd put money into their current account for bills and big purchases only for the bank, without being instructed, to put the money on your behalf into some savings vehicle with a fixed term!

Well, that was enough to help me decide that I'd rather the money was in the notaire's account than our own![:-))]