When to admit defeat....

Coco

LAST EDITED ON 19-Aug-03 AT 09:50 PM (GMT)

I've recently been involved in a dialogue with one of our American cousins who has a keen interest in visitig the D-Day beaches and possibly staying at our B&B.

His first question was how far are you from the beaches? In the next email I was asked if he would need any kind of adaptors to convert his electrical equipment from 110 to 220v. Third email, do we have TV/video/DVD facilities. Fourth, EXACTLY how far are we from Utah, Omaha and Bayeux. Fifth, are there one or two beds in each room. Sixth, can I help with an itinerary so that he can make the best use of his limited time in Normandy. Seventh, do we have laundry facilities, eighth, as there is only one bed in each room (double by the way) is it possible to have a "roll-out bed" put in one of the rooms?

I have answered every question positively and even agreed to the last request. There is usually a delay of 24 to 36 hours between each email and he wants to come on 4th September. I have a feeling I am being played off against someone else.

This is apparently his first trip to Europe. I have now decided to say that I have since booked the two rooms for someone else. I think the man is expecting 3 or 4 star hotel service in a B&B and is either going to be sorely disappointed or a real pain in the a***! Either way, I don't particularly want to be caught in the fallout. I was originally very keen to have him and his friends to stay, as I have made it clear elsewhere that I am keen to break into the US market, particularly those wanting to visit the D-Day beaches, as I think this is an added service (and source of income) that we could develop. However, I think on this one I have to give in gracefully and admit that I am never going to please this man and so not even try! An unhappy customer is the last kind of advertising that I need.

Am I right or wrong?

Coco

LAST EDITED ON 19-Aug-03 AT 10:09 PM (GMT)

>
> I think the man
>is expecting 3 or 4
>star hotel service in a
>B&B and is either going
>to be sorely disappointed or
>a real pain in the
>a***! Either way, I
>don't particularly want to be
>caught in the fallout>
>
>Am I right or wrong?
>
>
Coco
I think you are right.

Gill

Coco, I think you were absolutely right, I used to have a guest at the coast, many years ago but it was then very busy and I had a lot of repeat business, you cannot beat word of mouth, better than all the advertising in the world. I love the americans as a people but they can sometimes be very difficult guests, they expect 4 star hotels at guest house prices and some of them almost require a baby sitter. And before you americans shout at me I have already said as a rule I love you but some of you are very difficult to please.