Setting up a B&B

Jez

[quote]No problem guys. I dont live in France and perhaps never will, but I refur to letters-on-line of feb 2005 LF. Page 77. Heading "Part Time Business" Some one talks about something called Entreprise ...[/quote]

Aaah, portage - that's something different altogether, I'm not at all sure how it would work for B&B, but take a look at these links to topics where it has been discussed before.

http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=276&messageid=82126

http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=276&messageid=82619

http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=276&messageid=81597

[quote]No problem guys. I dont live in France and perhaps never will, but I refur to letters-on-line of feb 2005 LF. Page 77. Heading "Part Time Business" Some one talks about something called Entreprise ...[/quote]

I'm afraid you can't use this system for B&B's. However you can use this for things like plumbers, gardeners etc and lets not forget they cream off 10%.

This ides was also used in the UK for computer contractors at one time which was often referred to (only in the contract industry) as an umbrella company and worked in the same way as Stephen Lemon describes in the response he gave in the LF magazine and on this forum.

The problem comes when buying and selling things and your running costs which are then not tax deductable. If you register your B&B correctly you get a 72% tax allowance. Contrary to belief I actually pay less tax in France than I did in the UK.

Miki - Sorry about the spelling But I think people got the basic gist of what I was saying.

Miki - Sorry about the spelling But I think people got the basic gist of what I was saying.

Don't worry about aplog aploges apper apollop saying sorry for spelling errors, we could have a thread for that and, it would be the busiest on the forum, with some of mine included.

I had rather hoped it was a new tax that was coming down from the south

[quote]Seems like anyone can set up in france as long as they can make it pay and pay the cosies,so it cant be that hard do just get an accountant and enough people through the door to pay the bills,in theor...[/quote]

Your right, it's not that hard to set up a B&B but it does cost a lot of money. I did do an estimate last year which included everything for one room from sheets down to knives and forks and it works out, if memory serves me right, at about £3k per room. It's not what you see when you look at a room it's what you don't seem i.e. 3 sets of quality sheets, towels etc. Replacing pillows each year and the costs go on and on.

The other point about making it pay is one that has been talked to death really on the forum but a guestimate is to add all the possible incomes up from your rooms and multiply it by 84 (this is 12 weeks of bookings per room) as this is what an accountant would do if you were selling and books were not available. A lot of people stay open longer and have better advertising and earn more which is more work. It's down to how much you put in to what you get out.

If you register your B&B properly you don't need an accountant all you are required to do is keep copies of all your invoices, add them up and put the total on the tax form. The tax office will do the rest for you. You don't have tokeep bills on stuff you buy other than for insurance purposes as you are given a 72% tax allowance to cover this.

Hi Jez

Congrats on taking the plunge. Your property and website both look interesting. In think your rates however are rather steep - did you do a lot of market research before you launched? What makes you think you will get significant interest with rates at that level? Pics of the interior of the rooms on the website would help to sell.....

Wishing you the best of luck!

Scotty

Hi Scotty,

We did nothing but compare prices and market research,

We looked at other Chateaux,

Campanile/balladins hotels locally who add on breakfast etc...

Some B&B`s locally charge £25 per person and they are not, all that ideal.

So we thought our prices reflected this, only time will tell, we are marketing it well and are averaging 600 hits per month.

I am an Interior Designer by trade so all the rooms will reflect this with, quilted bedspreads, bolsters, bedcanopies etc...The rooms have all been renovated and will be finished by march, so photos will be available from end of Feb.

We have started to fill up the book slowly, but as you said when the rest of photos are on, this will help..

The property is not a "young child friendly" place, due to the moat/spiral stairs etc..

So we can but try............

If we had'nt tried we would always think what if.....................

I agree your prices seem high, still hopefully you know the area, the competition, the clientele you are aiming for etc; however your prices are hard to read ! I had to run my mouse over them for them to show up, (in fact I don't find any of the text against pics easy, but then that may just be me and my browser)......this meant as a helpful critism.

Good Luck with your venture.

[quote]Hi Scotty, We did nothing but compare prices and market research, We looked at other Chateaux, Campanile/balladins hotels locally who add on breakfast etc... Some B&B`s locally charge £25 per ...[/quote]

Hi Jez

"We looked at other Chateaux,

Campanile/balladins hotels locally who add on breakfast etc..."

The Campanile in Saumur charges 58 Euros for a double room in August

This website contains info on a number of B&Bs in your area, including some which would claim to be upmarket :

http://www.paysdelaloire.com/maine-et-loire-bed-and-breakfast.htm

These B&Bs charge between 45 and 90 Euros per double room per night for B&B.

"Some B&B`s locally charge £25 per person and they are not, all that ideal."

£25 per person for a double equates to over 70 Euros per room - the B&Bs on the above website that charge these kind of rates are (in my humble opinion) pretty good quality.

Your rates are even higher (between 85 and 170 Euros per room in high season) and would put you way, way out at the top end. I hope you can attract the business

Best of luck!

Scotty