hospitality soaps and shampoos

lizzy h

[quote]I occasionnaly treat myself to these products and I have noticed they supply hospitality kits:http://fr1.loccitane.com/aboutus/1.hotel.asp?Sorry, can't do links here! copy and paste to go to the relev...[/quote]

...and I thought I was being a bit extravagant with my Crabtree & Evelyn suggestion.

In France, Roger et Gallet also does B&B-sized toiletries (I got some from my one and only Brittany Ferries commodore-class trip). Getting back towards more everyday stuff, I know that Yves Rocher does them too but I've never found them in product catalogues or on the website, you'd probably need to enquire about them.

Talking of Brittany Ferries, I know of one otherwise very nice English-run B&B, it's in the Alastair Sawday book, situated not far from a ferry port (not yours Miki ) where regular guests are asked to bring the soaps and shower gels from their cabins (and packets of sugar too ).

We also got ours from Metro.

The first year we had soaps, shower gel and hair shampoo. We found that the soaps went very quickly and we were throwing loads of part used soaps in the bin, we even looked at recycling them for ourselves but it was not very satisfactory. Somebody I remember said in a early thread that they used liquid soaps from a dispenser which we tried in our second year, this we found worked very well. This year instead of using the dispensers that come with the soap already in them from the supermarkets we have bought glass dispensers from Ikea in Toulouse and are using the refill you can buy in the supermarket. We have also got matching soap dishes and glasses which we can just shove in the dishwasher to clean. In fact you can put the whole lot in the dishwasher and it does not effect the contents of the soap dispensers.

Most of the women seem to bring little cases with all their bits and bobs in as they often appear to prefer a particular brand of shower gel and hair shampoo and are not interested in using the ones we supply so it begs the question, is it really worth while? This year we are looking at using combined shower gel and hair shampoo and for the rooms with baths some form of bubble bath or bath salts although we have no experience with these and wonder if others have used them and if it is worth while.

Quillan

I agree with liquid soap idea, less messy and more economical.

How about a small notice suggesting that if they have forgotten anything clients can request shower gel / bath salts, toothpaste etc. then you would only be providing these items if they were really necessary.

Gill

Gill,

After trying it one way then another, supply all, good quality, supply some, middle quality or good quality and so on, we have now added to the room information sheet (simply detailing all about the house and the area) where to find the hairdryer and the fact that, should they not have any soaps, shower gels, shampoos etc, please let Tina or myself know and we will gladly offer them whatever toiletries they would like.