help with translation

Hello,

Although French is my mother tongue I am struggling! I have been trying to find out what is the French translation for 'tea and coffee making facilities'. I've looked at numerous chambres d'hotes websites but I haven't found anything (I know that tea and coffee making facilities in French B&Bs are unusual but in my opinion - having become almost British- it is not a luxury but almost a necessity). Do you provide this service in your rooms and if so, how is it advertised on your website? Thanks.

Maybe, in effect, there isn't an equivalent phrase; after all, "Tea & coffee making facilities" is a phrase that only really exists in B&B terminology - the rest of us call it a kettle!

"thé et café faisant équipements", however, is awful, and sounds like it comes straight from Babelfish?

French friend who did my website translation said there was not really an equivalent and offered the following for room descriptions.

' vous pourrez déguster du thé et du café offert par la maison.'  

I thought this sounds as though I was going to make the coffee etc for them - but she assures me not.  In practice I have found that I need to explain to French guests that the tea/coffee is free and also explain how to use the electric kettle, as many have never used one.  Many look upon it with suspicion, but usually won over when I tell the ladies it is so they can relax and 'Monsieur' can spoil them by brining them early morning tea!

Hi,

It has been pointed out to me by someone who speaks French very well that my offer of translation whilst word by word accurate makes no sense as a phrase. Just in case you are about to use it in your brochures .... don't. Apparently the French will not know what you are saying.

I regret to have caused you any inconvenience and wish you luck in your B&B venture.

Joe.

I have to say that the hotels wording have got it about right as far as translation goes.

By that, I mean that the French do not have the concept of tea &

coffee making in Chambres D'Hôtes. Explaining it  and sorry Dude, you

were gracious to admit it  that your translation was not

comprehensible by the French but the French will simply not understand

the very idea anyway !!

We did offer it a long time ago but stopped it immediately after the

3rd time in a season, a  Brit had gulped enough wine and then

proceded to make evening coffee and spill it on a new carpet. Of course

as can be the case, no one says anything until the stain has well and

truly dried in to the carpet.

Seeing as we put nearly all our efforts in to the French market, I have

to say, that not one CdH we have ever known has offered tea/coffee

making facilities in the bedrooms. Some will offer clients a small area

in or near the kitchen to be able to make coffee and tea themselves. We

feel we are here to earn a living with the French, so we offer help,

assistance, knowledge and a 1001 other things but tea & coffee in

the rooms, just like animals...................... no way.

Sorry if it offends anyone but to me, it is another case of thinking

that if it is done in the UK, then it should be done here. Go ahead,

offer it if you must but we have chosen not to and go with the French.

Someone is absolutely bound to know a French CdH that does but, for

everyone that does, my bet is 500 don't ! Take a look through the G de

Fr book, I never spotted one as I got bored looking years ago after a

hundred pages without one ! Sure one will though................

Miki - I often wonder if it is worth it, and many people do not use the facilities.  However, as it is something I really, really, like myself and I HATE it when we go to French C de H and there isn't a facility to have drinks, then I'll stick with it.  I surely can't be the only person in the world who gets up 2 hours before their partner and is dying for a cuppa.  The last C de H we stayed in didn't even have any glasses for a glass of water in the bedroom and breakfast didn't start until 8.30.  As I'm always up about 6 ish I was absolutely desperate by breakfast time.  Have actually been to French place which had tea and coffee (see you knew someone would say that![:)]) and very nice it was too.  I don't actually find it too much bother offering this and we have tables and chairs in our rooms where there is room to sit down properly to drink tea so not too much mess (so far).  I agree that many places don't offer it and I don't think it is essential, but on the other hand I can't believe it would cause anyone not to book so I'll carry on.

Cassis,

I'll let you in to a secret, Tina cannot go anywhere without the travel

kettle and a supply of tea (and coffee for me). We don't always use it,

in fact it is not that common we do but, if we never had the kit onboard,

yep, she would miss it for sure !! My point was more that everyone soon

learns that the French are traditionalists and everything they tend to

do, is passed down from previous generations and making tea or coffee

in their rooms, is definitely not a French tradition.

No, people would not refuse tobook if one has the facility but there again, they

would still book if you never had it. I can honestly say, I can barely

remember a single person ask me if we had facilities in the room. I do

remember one saying, "oh, can we then bring our travel kettle" and of

course we said "no problem but do be careful please........"

I have never been anywhere in France, bar one or two 3 star plus

hotels, which had tea and coffe facilities in the room and none ever,

in a French CdH.

I have quite often found that French-owned chambre-d'hotes provide communal kitchen facilities for guests. Usually just a microwave and a kettle, and perhaps somewhere to sit while you sip whatever it is you have brewed.  I expect it's useful if people come with babies whose bottles need warming up.

Angela

To me it matters not a lot.

To 'er indoors' it matters an awful lot. She may well have two teas before I awake !

I seem to recall that even Formule Uno offers the facility.

BUT

I understand the spirit of CdH better than most Brits. I can see that a communal coffee pot brewing from dawn (or a kettle with some cups and ingredients) would fit better than facilities in each room.

I WOULD offer glasses and drinking water (even if tap water) in each bedroom.

John

John,

Rarely known a 2 or 3 star French hotel,  let alone a cheapo Formule 1 type hotel,

ever to offer tea & coffeee facilities in the room. Are you sure

?  Drink & snack machines are normally near the foyer. Formule

1 never even had showers in the rooms when we were forced to use one

when trapped on an ice ridden road in the middle of France some 6 years

ago !

Yes, glasses of some kind are important in the bedroom.

Sorry... Did I read that right? You compare Formula One hotels to 2 or 3 star Frenh hotels.

I have stayed in many French hotels, usually 3 or 4 star (equ) and have always been appauled at the standards.

The French obviously think dirty sheeets, shoddy decor and exposed wires are fine in a hotel.....

Well what do you expect from a nation that take a dump into their shoes whilst standing up?

J

Yes Campanile have and we used to use them a fair bit on our runs south, as most

also have restaurants within and some will offer late arrival meals.

Being run by couples (with staff), they can be hit and miss affairs but

most are certainly OK for overnight stops.

Are you sure ?  Drink & snack machines are normally near the foyer. Formule 1 never even had showers in the rooms

I have lost a few grey cells since we used them but I can visualise a room near Clermont Ferrand that had them. It may have been the one above a formule uno (we had 4 beds in 1 room, is that an Ibis ?).

Mind you I can visualise a lot of things that are not real.

Cheers

John

Hello,

sorry I can't seem to find the general reply button. Many thanks for all your answers. I do understand that most (all?) French B&Bs do not offer the facilities but since I consider that it is really a plus I think the idea is worth importing. As we live down south we will certainly have tiled floors (or maybe wooden) in the bedrooms so I am not too bothered about the risks of spillage. Basically, what I intend to do in our B&B is to give our guests the same level of service I would like to find when travelling, and that includes (among other things) tea and coffee in the bedrooms.

We're very far from opening our B&B (haven't even started on the renovation of our house) so I'm sure I'll have many more questions to ask. This forum is a lot more active that the French equivalent! Thanks again.