to pop a sample evening menu on website.... or...err... not

squidge

I haven't done it yet myself but as I have so many enquiries asking what sort of things we do I intend to do it myself this year.  I'm interested to know why Mark says no.  The only reason I haven't done it is because I haven't got round to doing it, can't see any reason for NOT doing it.[8-)]

I will say just this.

When we had the resto, sure we advertised an example of the menu, sometimes we had it in full. It was a large part of our biz but only a touch as the internet had only just began.

As a table d'hôte, we do not now. We did many years ago and what happened ? Some guests expected the example to be on the menu every night, people expected a choice (interdit !), they took us to be a resto and expected choices, make it clear you offer just one choice plus a kiddies meal, if you don't wnat it to happen to you as well.

By all means,  put on a delicious sounding menu but please, please, do not make it sound like an Olivier Roellinger or Paul Bocouse menu, it is OK for them, people expect it. Listen instead to Gordon Ramsey, when he says, tell them exactly what it is, not some mamby pamby description, pretending to be coming from  some 3 Michelin gaff !

I wouldn't do it, we tried it, got the wrong results from it. It gained no extra bookings to our knowledge apart possibly from those who said the menu looked nice but they would have booked anyway as we show we do evening meals. We fill up, we do not feed all our guests, I can't tell your exact percentages of those that do or don't, take meals. I tend, rightly or wrongly, to not worry about those things. If you have read much of the B&B section, you will see we are not intending to do evening meals in July and August, due to the work load and the heat taking its toll and 8/9 weeks of anything, between say, 8 and 15 people eating on many nights is just...well too much ! Our area is crammed full of some of the best restos for many miles around and we cannot, or indeed want to, compete with that but we have what most others do not have...bedrooms within seconds of the table and bottle !!

I'm not really inclined one way or the other, despite my apparent list.

I agree that if you do publish a menu online, keep it simple and make it clear that it is just an example.  Anything in the "duvets of pumpkin with drizzles of jus" style is just sooooo passé, don't you know!

How do you say nicely that they take whatever you are doing that night or they can bog off elsewhere?

Perhaps too polite - are you sure they'll get the message?

It was very good of Squidge to put this to the vote, just to let Mark think he had actually some say in it, don't you think?  I mean, Squidge was bound to win in the end.  I'm just surprised she didn't just tell him what was what and tell him if he didn't like it he could bog off somewhere else.

Squidge and Mark clearly have a more liberal relationship than me and Jude. [:)]

Where's your avi, Squidge?

No they are cool and photos are crisp and clear, as you photo chaps are aware.

It is the Chez Nosh, Restaurant du Yuk and Café de la Stodge gaffs that I am talking of 'ere, the photos are older than BR sandwiches and just as curled.[:)]

Edit : BR were still abart when I was living in la Belle Britain, I am led to believe they eez no more ? Still, I bet a few of their sarnies are still knocking abart [:D]

Think I was just cross cos we'd lost 3-0 to Shrewsbury. I would have questioned my need for another glass of wine at the time, such was my contrariness.

But I did think that, as Miki mentioned, you're a bit of a hostage to fortune when people turn up and expect the turkey dinosaurs we've promised on the website, when I've actually planned egg surprise for that night.  It's a bit prescriptive, in a word.  Or four.

There was probably another killer argument as well but I don't know what it might have been.  Website clutter?

[quote user="Cassis"][IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/wildlife/banquet_dinner.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Aha, a quick change from a  McDos to a Le Quick quarter pounder with those new fangled thingies........................................vegetables [:)]

P.S

Does the gravy (ou sauce) come attached or was it poured on [;-)]