B&B signage

Mark

Do I enquire to the Mairie about putting self-made signs down on the main road luring unsuspecting motorists up to our mountain retreat, or the sous-prefecture, or one and then the other? 

Thanks! [:)]

I think the DDE is responsible for signage on the roadside and they decide if a private concern warrants a roadsign or not... or you could do your own, but they might decide to remove it for 'safety' reason if anyone complains.

[quote user="Clair"]I think the DDE is responsible for signage on the roadside and they decide if a private concern warrants a roadsign or not... or you could do your own, but they might decide to remove it for 'safety' reason if anyone complains.
[/quote]

Thanks Clair.  It was a DIY one I was thinking of doing.  Think I may just informally approach the Mairie, and if they give the nod put one up and if it gets taken away again so be it.

Was thinking of one of those huge inflatable things up and over the road like the flamme rouge the Tour uses to indicate 1km to go on a stage.  Impactful, oui? [:D]

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to erect signs on a main road, your property must generally be within 5km of it.

If it’s a national road (route nationale, prefixed by N), you must contact the Ministère des Transports, de l’Equipement, du Tourisme et de la Mer (: www.equipement.gouv.fr).

If it’s a departmental (D) road, contact your local Direction Départementale de l’Equipement (DDE), which controls not only the roads themselves, but the land 3m on each side (unless private property).

If it’s a communal (C) road, ask at your local mairie.

• 2 weeks later...