wifi charges

Hi anyone know anything about a new law to charge B&bs for gests using wifi ?? I was told it cmes into effect August 1st !!!

I was told it was decree 2006-358.........I don't seem to be able to find anything out about it. Anyone out there fill me in ??

Cheers Wilko

It is a Decret and you can see it HERE . From what I can understand of it there is no direct link to CDH other than they are talking about transmitting programs etc which I take to mean people using your WiFi to watch say French TV or films. I don't have the time to translate and understand the Decret as it looks quite complicated so if somebody wants to have a go and let us know I for one would be appreciative.

Google translated it for you:

[quote]Article 1

Section 3 of Chapter II of Title I of Book II of the regulatory part

(Vol) of the Code of posts and electronic communications, entitled

"Protecting the privacy of users of networks and electronic

communications services" includes articles R. 10-12, R. 10-13 and R.

10-14 read as follows:

"Art. R. 10-12. -- For the purposes of the

II and III of Article L. 34-1, traffic data refers to information made

available by electronic communication processes, which may be

registered by the operator on the occasion of electronic communications

for which it provides transmission and which are relevant to aims

pursued by the law.

"Art. R. 10-13. -- I. -- Pursuant to Article

II of L. 34-1 electronic communications operators retain for the

purposes of research, finding and prosecuting criminal offences:

"A) information identifying the user;

"B) The data relating to communications terminal equipment used;

"C) The technical characteristics and the date, time and the duration of each communication;

"D) The data on the services requested or used and their suppliers;

E) The data to identify the recipients of the communication.

"II. -- For activities telephony operator keeps the data mentioned in I

and, furthermore, those identifying the origin and location of the

communication.

"III. -- The duration of data retention mentioned in this article is one year from the date of registration.

"IV. -- Identifiable and specific additional costs incurred by

operators as required by the judicial authorities for the provision of

data under the categories mentioned in this article are compensated in

the manner provided for in Article R. 213-1 of the Code of Criminal

Procedure.

"Art. R. 10-14. -- I. -- Pursuant to Article III of L.

34-1 electronic communications operators are allowed to retain for the

purposes of their operations billing and payment data technique that

identifies the user as well as those mentioned in b, c and d I 's

Article R. 10-13.

"II. -- For activities telephony, operators may

retain, in addition to the data I mentioned in the technical data on

the location of communication, identification of the recipients of the

communication and data to establish billing.

"III. -- The data

included the I and II of this article may be retained if they are

necessary for billing and payment of services rendered. Their

conservation should be limited in time strictly necessary for that

purpose without exceeding one year.

"IV. -- For the security of networks and facilities, operators can retain for a period not exceeding three months:

") Data to identify the origin of communication;

"B) The technical characteristics and the date, time and the duration of each communication;

"C) The technical data to identify the recipients of the communication;

"D) The data on the services requested or used and their suppliers. "

Article 2

In

Section 2 of Chapter II of Title I of Book II of the regulatory part

(Vol) of the Code of posts and electronic communications "Directories

and intelligence services" in Article R. Article 11 becomes R. 10-11.

Article 3

The Code of Criminal Procedure (Amendment of the Conseil d'Etat) is amended as follows:

1 ° After 22 of section R. 92, it is added a 23 ° as follows:

"23 ° charges for the provision of data stored under Article II of L. 34-1 Code postal and electronic communications. "

2 ° It is established in Chapter II of Title X Book V, section 11

entitled "Costs of electronic communications operators includes an

article R. 213-1 as follows:

"Art. R. 213-1. -- Rates on 23

charges mentioned in an item number R. 92 corresponding to the

provision of data stored under Article II of L. 34-1 Code postal and

electronic communications are established by a decree of the Minister

of Economy, Finance and Industry and Minister of Justice. This

distinguishes arrested tariffs according to the categories of data and

services required, taking into account, where appropriate, specific and

identifiable additional costs incurred by operators as required by the

judicial authorities for the provision of such data. "

Article 4

Regardless of their implementation of right to Mayotte, the provisions

of this decree is applicable in New Caledonia, French Polynesia and the

Wallis and Futuna islands.

Article 5

The Minister of State, Minister of the Interior and Spatial Planning,

Minister of Economy, Finance and Industry, the Minister of Justice,

Minister of Justice, the Minister for Overseas - Wednesday and the

minister delegate for industry are responsible, each in their respect,

the implementation of this decree, which will be published in the

Official Journal of the French Republic.

Done in Paris, March 24, 2006.[/quote]

I think that this is an old law (dates back to 2006) and relates to gathering and holding anti-terrorism information .    

The bigger picture can be seen by reading the 2006-64 "Contrôle de l'application de la loi relative à la lutte contre le terrorisme et portant dispositions diverses relatives à la sécurité et aux contrôles frontaliers" law (loi 2006-358 is about a third of the way down).

http://www.senat.fr/apleg/pjl05-109.html 

So unless your guests are terrorists using wifi I don't see how it applies?

[quote user="Wilko"]Hi anyone know anything about a new law to charge B&bs for gests using wifi ?[/quote]This is has to be nonsense Wilco, just think about it.

Why would anybody be interested if guest's share your WiFi plus there is no conceivable way to practically police such a scheme other than a blanket tax on all Gite owners just in case.

I'd forget about it and put it in the 'my mate down the pub says' file of myths [:D]

Hi Quillan

It was a fellow B&B holder. She also talked about some sot of aerial ??? I just thought that someone might know something further. Apparently their is some connection between this and "free wifi" by an Irish company ?????

Slightly off topic but I read in La Provence recently that a study by a French and Belgian universities had proof that there is a link between brain tumours and mobile phones/ WIFI. I seem to recollect that a leading British public school had had the Wifi taken out because of changes in pupils behaviour. It's all technology, I haven't had a mobile for 3 years and am seriously thinking of removing the Wifi from the B&B.

Lastly we had a US guest in April, a MD late 50's early 60's, and we were chatting about changes and advances in medicine over the past 40 years. he said that one of the things that he had noticed was an increase in the number of brain tumours, around 3 a year when he started to practice with over 30 last year. I asked him if he thought the cause was linked to mobile phones and he replied that there appeared to be no concrete proof but both he and his wife had ceased to use them more than 10 years ago.

Regards

Wilko

[quote user="Wilko"]

Lastly we had a US guest in April, a MD late 50's early 60's, and we were chatting about changes and advances in medicine over the past 40 years. he said that one of the things that he had noticed was an increase in the number of brain tumours, around 3 a year when he started to practice with over 30 last year. I asked him if he thought the cause was linked to mobile phones and he replied that there appeared to be no concrete proof but both he and his wife had ceased to use them more than 10 years ago.

Regards

Wilko

[/quote]

Feel I have to reply to the above having working in neurology both abroad & at a leading UK Neurology centre scanning brains for the last 30 years think I have a little experience.....the reason for the above quoted 'apparent increase in brain tumours in the last 30 years' is purely because the diagnostic technology has advanced so much since the 70s so the pick up rate is far higher, plus clinicians refer more patients than they used to - same goes for any major medical condition which can now be diagnosed by advanced techniques......comments like that cause major health scares which can cause untold problems of their own.  A small percentage of brain tumours are life threatening & many are benign & easily removed.......many more die from malignant melanoma from sunbathing, lung cancer from smoking, liver disease from excessive alcohol.....  No tumour is good news but many are avoidable by living sensibly - there is no proof that mobile phones or WiFi causes any increased risk.........

My husband was the MD of a company which erected mobile phone masts in the UK & also has extensive knowledge on this matter - again so much is scare mongering.........the mobile phone & WiFi technology is here to stay - if we all reacted as some of the above posters we would still be driving around in horse drawn carriages & reading by gaslight - the whole of life is a risk - make the most of it - this is not a dress rehearsal....

Rant over - back to cleaning toilets & ironing sheets

I think its radio and TV that causes brain damage, well TV anyway although I don't think its much to do with TV signals [:D] .

Seriously, the same could be said for radio and TV broadcast signals and microwave transmissions for/from aircraft loke doppler radar etc etc,. If you think about all the radar stations and landing aids round airports and some of those 'secret' establishments people in those areas would be dropping like flies. As for the B&B side and this decret I think we can safely ignore it.

Ironically for those parents fretting that their precious offsrpring are being damaged by magic mobile phone death rays the ideal place for the antenna is bang on top of the school as the signals radiate outwards not down, try selling that one at the planning meeting though [:-))]

Where we lived in UK was a bit of a mobile black hole, you could get a sniff of Vodafone at the front and a sniff of O2 at the back, neither enough to make a reliable call though. Everybody complained and eventually a proposal went in to install a mast at the waterworks just on the edge of the village where there was already a waterboard mast transmitting at similar frequencies. Of course the usual furore erupted and the head of the local parish council came knocking on doors looking for support to stop it and distributing 'NO' posters. I simply asked him if he had a mobile phone and if so was he prepared to give it up, of course he had and wasn't so I told him to bugger (EDIT: If I can't say bugg_er how about) piss off for being a hypocrite and promptly made up and put big 'YES' poster in my window.

I must admit that I also enjoyed a delicious moment of schadenfreuda as this was the same councillor who'd blatantly lied in a planning meeting an unsuccessfully attempt to stymie an application I'd submitted and his property was about the nearest to the waterworks thus most likely to have it's value affected by it.

Ya boo sucks [:P]