Audio-visual licences

Yes it does I'm afraid. If you're gites or b & b you have to pay for each tv you have for guest use. We had a lady from the impots call on us a couple of years ago and wanted to fine us because we hadn't declared the tvs in the gites. As we didn't know anything about it she said if we wrote her a letter in french begging forgivness she might let us off. We did and she did thank god as it was quite a big fine.

[quote user="Brian"]Yes it does I'm afraid. If you're gites or b & b you have to pay for each tv you have for guest use. We had a lady from the impots call on us a couple of years ago and wanted to fine us because we hadn't declared the tvs in the gites. As we didn't know anything about it she said if we wrote her a letter in french begging forgivness she might let us off. We did and she did thank god as it was quite a big fine.[/quote]

We had the same experience 2 years ago. However, we did not have a visit but the letter we received named all of our gites and which ones contained TVs. We can only assume that they found out via our website. No fine because we had only just installed them. You only need a licence for TVs you own on January 1st of the relevant year.

Anyway, we also do B&B in our main residence and we queried whether this was covered by our own TV license. The answer from the regional tax office (not our local one who didn't have a clue) was that "it depends". If guests have a separate entrance then you need additional licences. If they come in via your own front door then your licence will cover it.

Makes no sense to me but that's not unusual.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2423362/ShowPost.aspx

Look at this post, don't know if it applies to you or not re the tv licence.

If you have a tv or tv receiver then you pay in France. You don't have to be there to watch it, or even watch it if you are, but one pays up anyway.