Found the house... now what to call it !!!

Louise

I quite agree, it was only an idle thought, i was hoping perhaps that one of the French on the forum might have given their view, its a subject that I really dont think that I understand at all well.

When my place is finished I will give it, or rather the business, a name.

I am going to ask the Maire who is the Député for the region to choose it along with his cronies, I am confident that the result will be English, cringeworthy and grammatically incorrect just like all the other businesses that they have encouraged to use their favored buzzword, I know where my bread is buttered [;-)]

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Afternoon

Gemonimo - regarding the frey - again we are governed by the church and think we will only be allowed a certain shade of grey... The mairies house has the same and that looks nice so think it will be ok.

Chancer - good idea - if I cant think of any name soon I might ask the Mairie. I want to thik of the name soon so that I can get on woth the website etc.

Like most others here, I think the name of a chambre d'hotes is very important. I've been following the thread, but as I have a heavy cold with a fever and headache, I've not felt like joining in till now.

Most of those I've stayed at and liked a lot have had names: Les Volets Bleus in the Drome, Numero Quinze here in our town (there's a Q for you, Sweet!) Les Planchottes in Beaune, Les Lavandes at Dieulefit. All except one owned by French people. Les Volets Bleus and Les Lavandes give a clue to something about them; I've just realised typing this that I have no idea what Les Planchottes means - it's not in our big Hachette, nor did google translate know it. Anyway, it's a super-comfortable place and one of our great favourites.

Numero Quinze gives no idea at all what a lovely place it is, with lovely vaulted ceilings inside the big doors and the big shady garden full of beautiful trees (a marvel hidden away as you go along the small dusty side street), the Roman plunge bath at the end, and lovely breakfasts on the terrace when the weather's decent..

To me the name is something to hang the personality of the establishment on. Is there something special nearby, or maybe it's famous for doing/making something. I like the idea of grey and toning in with the rest of the area, but tubs of greenery and lovely flowers will help it to stand out. Maybe you'll be allowed lovely signs hanging out to proclaim to visitors that they've arrived.

My first thought was 'Trivia' - where three roads met - just like your house's position, but it doesn't give a pretty picture to carry in the mind. Maybe go for colour - 'L'arc en Ciel' or some such, and have rooms in various colours/styles.

Lovely thread - and soothing for a banging head![:)]

The most important thing about naming your house is to make it work for you on i/net searches eg if you are in the Lot you could call it Chambre d'hotes Lot...........so when someone searches for C/D Lot you'll come up on the first page, similarly name the rooms after tourist sites in the area.

G/Girl go down to the pharmacie and buy Fervex, it certainly helps the fuzzy head.

Rgds W

[quote user="Louise"]Hi Catalpa, We think the shutters are going to have to be grey...to fit in with the rules of the church. did you open the link to the pictures ? [/quote]

Yes I did. Lovely square, solid-looking house. It looks as if you are on a bit of a crossroads? But I think that's been done as a name. Possibly overdone. [:D]

Could you have a couple of beautiful plant pots either side of your entrance door? Bay trees or olive trees... bay trees probably better as less spreading. Then you could be Les Lauriers. Or plant a couple of wisteria - Les Glycines. Both of these would lend themselves to nice graphics. Whatever you go for, make absolutely certain there are no other similarly named holiday properties in the area - ideally not in the departement. BTW, did you say earlier what the name of the river is? Can you do anything with that name?

[quote user="Gemonimo"]It goes brilliantly with the climbing rose 'Pierre de Ronsard' on the front of the house.[/quote]

Gem! I have that rose too. Several of them in fact. Isn't it wonderful... and it just keeps on flowering. The only downside is no scent.

I think simple works too, Christine. And Eglise is often understood even when people don't speak much French so it's a good choice, imo. Except... if there are other chambres d'hôtes / holiday rentals in the area with the same name. It's more of a challenge to develop an individual character for a property when there are others with similar names in the vicinity. I have this problem myself.

Evening....

The house is near the River Vienne, in Dept 16 - Charente. There is a bar nearby call La Vienne :-(

I saw a restaurant called les charentaise and thought that sounded nice until I looked it up and it was a type of slipper !!! I have seen another called Rendezvous but think that is more of a meeting place than sleeping place.

The wisteria, bay tree etc are possible options.. I think there is one close by called the olive tree though so maybe a bit similar.

GG - hope your headache has gone :-)

The name is so important to attract people... For those who have seen the pictures - is that type of house called anything in particular.

The house was in the same family for a very long time.

Spookily though his initials were BT and he had them put in the shutters to the cellar. My surname begins with T and my boyfriends begins with B... we didnt notice till the day we got the keys !!! Cant really call it BT's though :-)

The bar in the village is called chez toi....

You must all be fed up with me saying... can't have this because of..... guess it shows I have done my research in to whats about !!

Norman - what were the translations of your previous suggestions?

Au vert Bocage

Probably not that applicable on reflection

Bocage is a Norman

word which has entered both the French and English languages. It may

refer to a small forest, a decorative element of leaves, a terrain of

mixed woodland and pasture, or a type of rubble-work, comparable with the English use of 'rustic' in relation to garden ornamentation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bocage

La Charanta Occitan name for La Charente

La Vinhana  Occitan name for la Vienne

Occitan is the language that used to be spoken in the part of the south of France known as Occitania

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occitania

Here is a site about your area written in Occitan:

http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/An%C3%A7ac_sus_Vinhana

I don't suppose that you saw Stephen Fry last week discussing minority languages. He interviewed someone from L'Academie and they had no time whatsoever for any other languages in France, but FRENCH, occitan was certainly not to be considered a language of LBF!

Thanks...a brilliant programme.

Did you notice how much more impressive the English of the girl who sings in Occitan was, than that of the Academicien?

And she is right about singing in Occitan. The sounds in French tend to close the sinus and throat and are much more difficult to sing.

Think of  the é sound

[quote user="idun"]I don't suppose that you saw Stephen Fry last week discussing minority languages. He interviewed someone from L'Academie and they had no time whatsoever for any other languages in France, but FRENCH, occitan was certainly not to be considered a language of LBF![/quote]

Yes, id, very interesting and I tried to ignore Fry (not easy!)  I've gone right off Fry but the programme content was good.

Strangely enough, I can read Occitan and understand quite a bit of it, certainly as much as I would Welsh (another minority language!)

I have 2 French friends (well, one of them is more of a neighbour really) who were both crowned La Reine de Fête (on different years) for their mastery of the Occitan language.  This festival takes place every two years in our area.