License Cat 2

Louise

Hi,

I applied for my license for Cat 2 (serving wine with evening meals) at the Mairie. I received a letter back that was stamped and signed within a couple of days.

Can anyone tell me if this is the license as we had a visit from the police the other morning. I wasn't in so he is going to come back. He had a copy of the paperwork with him but that was about all my boyfriend was able to find out.

Do they come out routinely after an application ? It was at 10am in the morning so don't think he was doing a spot check ?

Has anyone got any experience in what happens when you apply?

Thanks

Louise

Hi Louise,

Sorry, this is going to be no use to you whatsoever but we opened our Chambres D'Hotes 2 years ago and got our breakfast licence straight from the Maire with our "registration" document. We had visited the Duane and were told they no longer issue them and were sent straight to the Maire who did the honours as above.

Maybe it's the same for the "wine licence".

We've never had a visit from the Gendarme but I suppose they have better things to do that see what kinda orange juice we're serving lol.

Hope it's all ok for you, I'm sure its nothing to concern yourself about.

Cheers Mel.

Just a little update....

I went down to see the Gendarme today and the reason he had called was because he wanted to see my certificate from the training course that you have to do to get a Cat 2 license.

I told him that I hadnt done it yet but also that I wasnt serving alcohol at the moment.

I told him that I probably wont end up doing it as it is so expensive and the number of visitors enquiring for evening meals doesnt warrant it really....

He seemed ok with my response but I have to let him know my decision in the next week or so...

Guessing a spot check will be on the cards one day !!

With regards to licences, whether or not you get a visit seems to depend on the diligence of the gendarmes in your area! We ran an auberge in the Pyrenees for 6 years and they came by several times to check our licences were all in order. And a couple of times they had to come back again as they hadn't understood the paperwork themselves...! Bon courage, Louise.