saving KW's

Paul Gandy

LAST EDITED ON 05-May-04 AT 10:11 PM (BST)

Hello all...

I was wondering how Gite owners were managing on such low KW's of electric...

We are trying to use Gas where possible but how do you stop your guests from using the tumble dryer, washing machine, dishwasher, playing music with all the lights on and making a cup of tea at the same time without it all tripping out.

Anyone got any good tips...

Phil

Phil

Firstly, we have never supplied tumble driers.

We do supply washing machine, dishwasher, microwave and several other electrical items.

We have 24 Kw supply on 3 phase which has been well balanced out.
All Chauffeaus are set to come on at cheap rate. The W/M and D/W have timers on their dials to allow them to come on also in cheap rate time. The BBQ is gas, the cooker is gas.

Of course, if you find that your gites are forever "tripping out" then you will either have to "up" your kw power, cut down on "machinery" or you will have to train your gitists to juggle the appliances or be prepared to be cut off every so often !

Miki

Hello,

We save many KW by using energy saving lightbults - they are quite expensive initially circa 8 Euros depending on size. You really can save KW and keep the brightness, say 60KW for just around 5-6KW - it all adds up. You can buy these at IKEA. We also have a little box which lights up when it is cheap time electricity and we encourage our guests to take advantage of this. You could also point out the Rural element of electricity usuage in your welcome literature and indicate to them that trip switch is at the bottom of the garden, under a fence, climb 3 steps etc.. - this could well put people off and want to be more considerate regarding usuage. It worked for the previous owner of our place.

I like the idea of timers for the W/M and D/W but I am not sure how practical this would be for our guests.

Good Luck.
Deby

Having mulled over this posting for a while my thoughts are still the same as my initial reaction - you are providing a service to your guests, so you should ensure that they can use the appliances when they wish. Of course, it makes both economic and ecological sense to reduce power consumption as much as possible, but why supply appliances if your power supply isn't up to the job?
It doesn't seem unreasonable that on, say, a rainy morning a family should want to get washing, drying etc. done in one huge session so that they will be able to take advantage of the hoped-for better weather. Even the most appealing aspects of French quirkiness can pall eventually, and I can't imagine that continually losing power will be amusing for very long.
Could you not, in the short term, leave a note in your gite explaining the problem whilst outlining the steps you are taking to improve matters i.e. having your power supply upgraded?
Maggie