Free Holiday

Toucan

I just cant believe what happened to me last night.

A gentleman, who has been intouch by email for the past few months, decided to book our gite. I phoned him (by arrangement) to give our bank details so he could pay over the next few days for his chosen week in August. After taking all my bank details he said he only wanted to put down a small deposit and pay the balance AFTER HIS HOLIDAY! His reasoning - he wouldnt know until the end of the week if his wife, daughter and himself would have had a good holiday. He then said we might just take his money and not exist when he got here.

What do you think?

Jane

In my opinion he is simply planning on giving you some pathetic excuse at the end of the holiday for a reason as to "knock" you.

As Gill said, dump him if he won't pay in full immediately.

Part of the problem now lies with the way the UK has become litigious society, with claims for just about everything being common nature for many. I only know this through my sister who has been a legal secrtetary for over 35 years and who tells me that claims awaiting a ruling are now stored very high in her office!.

Another thing we can thank the USA for (sorry to all the defenders of the States on here but true all the same)

Miki

I would forget about him. Supposing it rains most of his holiday, he certainly won't pay up then will he cos he won't have enjoyed it. Meanwhile you could be missing out on genuine punters instead of possible con merchants.

What a nerve, tell him unless you receive the full balance by 'a suitable date' the property will no longer be available. This is in accordance with the industry's usual terms of business.

I must say though that it sounds to me as if your conditions of booking are not very clear. The usual routine is for a deposit (of your choosing but not more than 25%) to be paid upfront and the balance is to be paid x weeks (I make it 6) before the start of the letting. The French do it rather differently and it is usual for the renter to bring the balance with him, and pay on day of arrival I believe.

I have to say also that I did know a chap who many years ago went off looking for his holiday accommodation, for which he had paid in full, in South West France and never found it! Must have been a con.

Liz (29)