What do customers expect?

Moulin

I have a question that must have been asked time and time again.

What do customers expect these days from a Gite or House they are renting?

We were doing up a Farmhouse in the Vendee for ourselves but a change in personal circumstance means that to keep it I need to finish it quickly to an acceptable standard and then rent it out to at least recover annual running costs.

I haven’t stayed in a Gite for several years but when we did the standard, in the same price range, varied considerably from the superb to the down right basic and from what I’ve read, with cheap flights across Europe and beyond, as much business these days comes from repeat bookings and personal recommendation as it does from advertising.

Any guidance very gratefully accepted.

One thing people expect is for the property to be finished. That sounds daft but I have had a couple of people here who had stayed elsewhere first and said that the house they had stayed in previously (British owned) was not actually finished! I guess people are desperate for the cash and advertise regardless.

I would suggest you go for what would be acceptable for yourselves if you were on holiday. If it is a big place more than one bathroom might be essential, for example. A dishwasher seems to be an essential these days. Perhaps have a look at the Gites de France web site and see what they provide for the money.

The one thing I would look for is the arangements for cleaning and caretaking the property, you cannot rely on those departing to leave the place clean enough for the next guests.

If you are expecting to let this summer you really need to be advertising now.

Liz (29)

Thanks Liz,

As you say the place needs to be finished so I am looking towards the 2006 season and would need to put it in the hands of an ‘all inclusive’ agent. I know this will take a large chunk out of the income but at least that way ‘changeovers’ would be smooth.

What about things like the garden and facilities for kids, don’t really want little hooligans running riot but would ‘No Children’ restrict things too much. The house has 3 bedrooms, (2 doubles and 1 twin,) 2 Bath/Shower rooms and 2 large living areas plus an un-started ground floor ‘bedroom’ that I was thinking of just putting Emulsion on the walls of (bare block) and putting in a Table Tennis table, Dart Board etc as a kind of ‘games room.’ I know finishing this as a bedroom would be ideal but I think this is currently beyond time and money.

Stuart

Now an owner but having previously rented several times with varying degrees of sucess, I think I'm qualified to comment... One place we returned to three times, some others were a strictly a once in a lifetime experience!

1. The property should be safe. Sounds obvious I know, but I've come across places where this hasn't been the case!

2. It absolutely must be clean at the start of each rental.

3. Well equiped kitchen a must. Plenty of (matching) crockery and cutlery. Decent set of kitchen knives, serving spoons pots and pans etc. Dishwasher a nice to have for a small place, the more bedrooms, kids etc. the more of the selling point this becomes. Nobody wants to do the washing up on holiday! Washing machine essential.

4. Furniture - nothing fancy, but it should be sound with enough comfy seating for the whole party. We never wanted a tv/dvd/cd-player etc., but some might disagree here. I think your main market is likely to be families, in which case 2 doubles is perhaps a little restrictive. I'd go for 1 double and 2 twins. If you want repeat bookings, make sure the master bedroom is nice and that the bed/matress is comfortable!

5. A few kids board games. I'd recommend French Monopoly, Scabble and Uno as a good start. If you've got a good level lawn something like a cheap badmington set is nice. I wouldn't bother with swings and such, although a sandpit is easy to contruct and nice for younger children. The games-room sounds like a good idea, I'd go with the table-tennis table, but skip the darts.... Put a few (old) chairs in there too. I'd relax on the 'little hooligans running riot' front, but if there is anything you really don't want the kids (or adults!) doing, state this clearly in the booking.

5. Outside a mowed lawn, BBQ and some garden furniture is pretty much all you need.

6. A recently researched local info pack is always appreciated. Local restaurant recommendations etc.

7. Welcome pack is welcome!

Perhaps the most difficult thing to achieve is to raise the standard above the 'just another holiday rental' feel. I think this takes lots of little touches, some of which cost money others of which are just contributions to a 'homely' feel.

Most of this obvious, I know, but all based on experience.

Stephen.

I agree with sbesley.

Also, I really get put off and want to go home if the place smells  damp/foisty. And those plug ins do not hide this, they make it worse. For me it makes perfumed stench.

I like a very clean well equipped kitchen with dishwasher. And a very clean modern bathroom. And if it is a big gite at least two toilets and better still, an extra shower or bathroom.

I think Liz and Stephen have summed up the gite / holiday business well.

Do look at the letting sites as mentioned above,  G. de France, French Connections and others. This is a good way compare like with like and set prices.

"Perhaps the most difficult thing to achieve is to raise the standard above the 'just another holiday rental' feel. I think this takes lots of little touches, some of which cost money others of which are just contributions to a 'homely' feel."

If the property is actually your second home, which you let out to others, then it is more likely to have the extra touches which make the "homely" feel.

Games room is a good idea but agree that darts could be dangerous.

Bon Courage

Gill

What suddenly strikes me is that what renters want is what is promised!  It may be basic if that is their motivation - cheap and cheerful and reflected in the price. But if you want top dollar for the property, then you should be providing top of the range accommodation.  If you deliver what you say you will you won't go far wrong in my opinion.

Musicmonkey is right. On the tourist board we get to see a lot of properties people want to place with us for lets. Some of them you wouldn't let your dog sleep in there let alone paying guests. Our two lady inspectors go through ALL the properties advertised each year with a very fine toothcomb and immediately inform the owners if they are not upto scratch. Dishwashers and washing machines, TV and even satelite are usually required for the more expensive rentals and every property has to be safety passed with fire extinguishers and blankets,no danger to children inside and out and no fitted carpets in bedrooms which can cause asthma. All the properties have to have photos available both inside and out to show clients as well. With the market flooded now it really does pay an owner to spend to sell even if it is better furnished than his own home. Regions reflect requirements too, for example if the let is in the middle of the country and too far from the coast, a pool would be a selling point and near to the sea not so important. I've seen british owners of cottages let them out furnished with tatty second hand stuff,old cookers and white goods that were never brand new and then demand a high rental but those clients never go back again and some even drive away when they see the place. One not far from us even furnished their place with mattresses they found on the local dump to save money.

EEK, would somebody really get a mattress from a dump ?

However,  I would be interested to hear answers to the following:

*Is a phone considered essential / desirable in these days of the ubiqitous mobile?

*Should that extend to internet connection ?

*How many owners get their properties 'safety passed' by somebody who is officially 'somebody who knows what they are doing', every year ?

Cheers

John as regards the phone in rentals. One of our more luxurious properties for rent at the TO has phones in each of three houses but only to receive incoming calls no outgoing ones. As for internet connections etc I know of none so far that have advertised this, unless the owners actually live on site and offer it privately. And as for the mattresses,yes the owners admitted it to my good friend who went to have tea with them and she was horrified and knowing what they are like can well believe it.

No carpet in the bedrooms ?? That may be a choice but I am surprised it is a requirement (my brother in law has asthma and although they have hard floors everywhere else they do have carpet in the bedrooms)

I think many local tourist offices insist on an inspection if you want to be listed with them (though not all)and many French people seem to use the tourist office to book their holiday.

Re. telephone in holiday homes:

There is an option with France Telecom (I think it's called module selectif) depending which option you pre-select your clients can receive incoming calls, make emergency and local calls or just receive incoming. We use this system and let clients make local calls. Clients can make long distance, inland and overseas calls from the house phone if they buy an international phone card. We have found this works well and we are able to have the full phone facility when we are there.

Gill

[quote]No carpet in the bedrooms ?? That may be a choice but I am surprised it is a requirement (my brother in law has asthma and although they have hard floors everywhere else they do have carpet in the bed...[/quote]

Gay

I have to agree that the no carpet in bedrooms policy seems a bit OTT.

If people have allergies then surely they can  check in advance with owner / agent.

Gill