Deposits

JJ

This is our first year as Gite owners. We have recently had a problem where someone made a booking for July via the phone and e-mail. So the booking was pencilled in, availability updated. We were awaiting the booking form and deposit, but nothing. So we e-mailed the clients, and yes they have changed their minds. Does anyone have any ideas about how to get around this problem.

Should we have kept the dates available until the deposit was recieved? Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Dear Jim and Gail

I've had this happen in the past so what I now do is this:

When I receive an e-mail booking, I tell the clients that I will hold the booking for them for a few days to allow time for their deposit and booking form to arrive. I do not block these dates until their deposit is received. If, in the meantime, I receive any other enquiries for those dates, I let the enquirers know that I have received a provisional booking and am awaiting the deposit.

Our mail from the UK usually takes 4 working days so if the booking form and deposit haven't arrived by day 5, I e-mail the clients to check if it's been posted.

Then, if they have changed their minds, at least too much time has not been lost. Then I would get back in touch with any other prospective clients, who have more than likely booked elsewhere by that time!

You can't win on that one but at least if you keep on top of the situation, you should be able to fill the dates.

I also keep on top of receiving the final balance by e-mailing the clients the week before this is due(I clearly state on the booking form that the final balance plus refundable security deposit is due 8 weeks before arrival) to remind them. Then if there is a problem at that stage, you have a chance to get a late replacement booking.

Hope this helps and good luck with your new venture.

I used to do something similar to Anna.  I made it clear that I would hold the provisional (telephone or email) booking for 7 days and send them the booking form and terms and conditions etc.  After 7 days I would expect the deposit to arrive.  We were lucky - the deposit usually did arrive, but if it hadn't I would feel OK about offering the week to someone else if I received an enquiry, especially as the terms and conditons clearly state that a provisional booking is only held for 7 days.  But I would say we had a provisional booking for the dates in question and ring or email the first party.  If they told me it had been posted I would wait for it to arrive (only a day or 2) and get back to the other people to update them.  If they were still interested if the first booking fell through I would get back to them as soon as I knew the dates were re-available.

I would only block out the dates on our website once the deposit had been received. 

Sounds like you have just been unlucky on this occasion but I'm sure it won't happen often if our experience is anything to go by.  Good luck!

Epinay

• 4 weeks later...

We take a 25% deposit within 5 days to secure the booking.  You can accept credit cards if you set up a paypal acdcount (like for ebay sales and purchases) and the costs is about 4% which you could ask people to pay if they are paying by thisd method. I think people expect to have to pay a deposit - we state it is non refundable

Hope this helps