Auctioning your rental gites on Ebay

Jackieuk

Hi all
I have noticed an increasing amount of gites for rent on Ebay recently. Has anyone here tried this & does it work? Can anyone here share their experiences if so, as I am curious to see if anyone has any success or horror stories.

I apologise if this topic has already been discussed but I tend to dip in and out of the forum infrequently so may have missed it.

Thanks...
Jackie
Northumberland & Manche

Hello Jackie

Yes, I have done it. Our place wasn't ready to let until mid June this year, so decided to put it on ebay (in mid June) to see if we could get at least a couple of bookings this year. We sold the whole of August and could have sold the first couple of weeks twice over! Did it as a Buy It Now per week.

On the other hand, during August, I put a couple of weeks in September on and didn't get any takers!

Don't know if this is any help to you!

Linda

(Charente & Somerset)

Hello Jackie

Yes, I have done it. Our place wasn't ready to let until mid June this year, so decided to put it on ebay (in mid June) to see if we could get at least a couple of bookings this year. We sold the whole of August and could have sold the first couple of weeks twice over! Did it as a Buy It Now per week.

On the other hand, during August, I put a couple of weeks in September on and didn't get any takers!

Don't know if this is any help to you!

Linda

(Charente & Somerset)

http://www.champgiraud.com

Yes, I did it a couple of years ago.

I got one bid, and then after winning the auction the person decided that she didn't want to stay after all. She then left me negative feedback, without any motive. We then had an exchange of not very pleasant emails.

I have 95 Ebay feedbacks and this is the only negative one and it really sticks in my throat.

So I shall not be using ebay again for this purpose (although I have bought and sold many items over the years and have never had any other problems whatsoever).

Hi all - thanks for your replies
We aren't yet at the stage where we are quite ready to rent our house out to the 'open market' so at the moment it's just friends & family. It's something we are thinking about for the future though so it's been interesting to hear of your mixed experiences.

I must admit the thought of the free advertising aspect didn't even cross my mind - d'oh!

Jackie
Northumberland & Manche