Booking Conditions

Jennys

We have just have an enquiry from someone wanting to possibly rent our gite next year for the first 3 weeks of July. They asked some detailed questions about the accommodation, to which we replied and they said they were interested so we sent our reservation form and our booking conditions. Our conditions are, we think, fairly standard. We require a 30% deposit to secure the reservation and the balance 8 weeks before (plus a damage deposit of 150 euros). All of our previous bookings have been much closer to the high season (say from Easter onwards).

We got a reply very quickly to say that they were no longer interested as they didn't agree with our booking conditions but they didn't give any details.

My question is, do any of you gite owners have different conditions for such early bookings, say take less of a deposit now and ask for the balance of the deposit later ?

Regards

Jenny

Your requirements sound totally normal.  Perhaps it was something else that bothered them - perhaps a no smoking comment, etc.  I wouldn't worry about it.  That is why you have a Booking Agreement.  I haven't seen yours (booking agreement), but in most cases, it is designed to protect both the owner and the renter.  I have seen some that were very odd and chose not to rent with them, but it was for reasons such as asking for a 5000 Euros security deposit.

I'm sure you will get more inquiries.  We have found that most folks begin to book their summer vacations starting around February.  Good luck.

[quote]We have just have an enquiry from someone wanting to possibly rent our gite next year for the first 3 weeks of July. They asked some detailed questions about the accommodation, to which we replied an...[/quote]

Hi Jenny

If you don't know what the problem is, why not just ask (I'd make a friendly tel call) and find out...?

You don't mention if your enquiry was from France.

Your terms pretty well match mine (25% non-refundable, balance + security 8 weeks b4 arrival) and I have had to create a friendly email reminder for my French visitors who always seem to expect to pay on arrival, despite agreeing to Terms which state 8 weeks before arrival!

Most French people who rent gites expect to pay a deposit to secure a booking, but are used to paying the balance on arrival, after checking that the property matches the description. Indeed, most French consumer articles I've read on the subject advise them to do so!

Clair

I agree that it is more likely that they objected to something else such as a no smoking clause. Genuine holdiaymakers, if they are Brits, certainly expect to pay a deposit and although 30% is probably at the top end of the norm it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe they weren't too serious in the first place and thought this was a good excuse for wasting your time ?

I am surprised you consider July to be early ! We would always expect our gites to be full throughout July and probably June too. You certainly shoudn't need to consider having a different policy for this period.

If you are concerned about our T&Cs then why not either post them on here or provide a web link to them and I am sure you will get some constructive comments back.

I am surprised you consider July to be early ! We would always expect our gites to be full throughout July and probably June too. You certainly shouldn't need to consider having a different policy for this period.

Eslier

I think the original poster meant that November is early to be receiving bookings for next July.

I have to agree that British holiday makers would normally expect to pay a deposit (usually non refundable) when booking a holiday. If they booked with any of the well known holiday companies this would be the norm.

Gill