Previous bookings history a lie?

Val_2

Out of interest I looked at a website for a gîte complex that had been running for about five years and which was put up for sale last year at a hugely inflated price. We knew the owners and even priced for the original conversation all those years back but decided it was in the end, too far to travel to work and pulled out of the idea. I now see the complex which  consists of three rentable cottages and the owner's house all joined and in an L shape round a central courtyard have absolutely NO bookings whatsoever on their availability charts for this year at all. Does that mean all the previous years full bookings were fabricated when the property was put up for sale? I do wonder if some people get really duped when spending huge amounts on such a business venture only to find they have rushed in and bought a place no one wants to visit or do they really go through the previous accounts etc? It does make you wonder.

Not all gite owners update their availability charts, could this be it?  Also, many gite complexes are run as a micro-bic so detailed accounts are not required, although that shouldn't stop potential buyers asking to see the previous years' déclaration d'impôts or customer receipts as some proof of turnover and bookings. Anyone who buys a gite complex from people who have no 'hard' information at all regarding previous bookings is asking for potential trouble, surely?

We are not selling but if anyone was intested in buying our house and two gites in the future we would show them 43 weeks booking this season so far by producing all the booking forms going back 6 years plus the guests books remarks. If they can not give you any information then negotiate a price for 'not an up and running gite business'....and take your chance like we did!!

www.le-tilleul.com

[quote user="Val_2"]Out of interest I looked at a website for a gîte complex that had been running for about five years and which was put up for sale last year at a hugely inflated price. We knew the owners and even priced for the original conversation all those years back but decided it was in the end, too far to travel to work and pulled out of the idea. I now see the complex which  consists of three rentable cottages and the owner's house all joined and in an L shape round a central courtyard have absolutely NO bookings whatsoever on their availability charts for this year at all. Does that mean all the previous years full bookings were fabricated when the property was put up for sale? I do wonder if some people get really duped when spending huge amounts on such a business venture only to find they have rushed in and bought a place no one wants to visit or do they really go through the previous accounts etc? It does make you wonder.[/quote]

I would have thought that part of buying any business is to establish the credibility o claimed turnover. If you don't, then you take your chances

quote tags edited by a moderator