Recycling

Harvey

Do your guests recycle? My commune are very keen on recycling. Last week they came round with cards, with very simple graphics illustrating what can be recycled, so, whatever your language you would be able to understand. Within a 30 second walk from the house are three recycling bins. In the house I have included in the Welcome Notes all the information plus a copy of the card. But do people take any notice…do they heck!

Yesterday I left a plastic container by the dustbin, with a few tins, plastic bottle, bottle of wine and some cardboard packaging…just to give them an idea what it was for. This morning, eureka – they finally got the message.

As UK are recycling I would have thought being on holiday people would carry on…..but no. What are your thoughts?

We have been doing the same since we started and on the whole, the guests are careful.

It could have something to do with the fact that thy cannot avoid the council bins at the bottom of the lane on the way out of the hamlet!

However, and despite the opening of a new local recycling centre, the local famer still regularly burns his black thick plactic hay wrappings on the edge of the path bordering his field... [:@]

We have had a mixed response.  Some naturally seem to recycle as if it is what they expect - and one family even asked where the compost was on arrival ! (almost fell over).  However, to encourage everyone I have invested in the small yellow and green bags from the supermarket and leave one of each with the washing up liquid etc.  Since this has been introduced we've very little rubbish and almost everything has been recycled.

I was made to do something when one family tried to through away a whole bag of plastic water bottles, it had been hot, but...

I don't have gites but I am involved with them .......

in my opinion it just isn't worth the hassle trying to get holidaymakers to understand the local re-cycling rules - they're only here for one or two weeks so I say: all bottles to the bottle bank (directions) and everything else in black sacks as household waste. the amount or re-cycling lost is probably not very significant. :)

• 1 month later...

I agree! Trouble is, here in "Dordogneshire",  in the height of the season, the huge number of Brits (mostly Anglais!) regularly leave black bin bags or cardboard boxes, full of bottles, beside the ordinary green/yellow wheelie bins instead of taking them to the bottle banks......and don't, please, tell me that they don't understand what should go where, cause, even when it's spelt out to them, they still ignore the procedure. Just has to be laziness, or the attitude that someone else will clear up the mess behind them! So no point in trying to teach them to recycle 'cause, if they don't already do it back home, they sure ain't gonna bother whilst on holiday!

Anna (snap...a Gemini girl !)

Regarding recycling. When we lived in Charente we were given yellow bags for recycling. I used to put plastic in one, paper in another and tins in a third. Seemed logical. My neice who still lives in Charente also did this but has now been told by a French person to put all the recyclable in the same bag. So what happens? Is it someones job to sort the stuff or as certain cynics have suggested does it all get burnt anyway?