longer than normal let

Le_Jars

I would offer a good discount especially if it is out of the summer months. If it is the summer most people do not get 6 months of bookings so I think yes a discount again. But be very careful of long lets because if they cannot prove that they have a main home somewhere else you could have problems getting them out at the the end of the letting period.

Tenants renting for between three months and a year must have their principal residence elsewhere (you should see proof of this); those whose principal residence is the property rented are entitled to a minimum lease of a year, there are no exceptions. (Until January 2005, this applied only to properties let by landlords who habitually let four or more properties; it now applies in all cases.) The lease is automatically renewable for the same period and under the same conditions, and there are stringent regulations, similar to those for unfurnished letting, restricting the landlord’s right to reclaim the property. If you wish to terminate a lease, you must give the tenant three months’ notice. If the tenant wants to end it, he has to give only one month’s notice. Letting contracts must be in French.

This is only my experience, but we are currently renting a gîte during the off-season (Oct-May), and the owner gave us quite a substantial discount, which I definitely expected.  We are currently paying per month what someone in a similar-sized regular logement would pay in this area.  Do not forget to ask them for a deposit though (usually two months rent).

Surely you cannot expect people to pay what you normally charge in the summer for six months off-season?  That would cost a fortune!

[quote user="samdebretagne"]

Surely you cannot expect people to pay what you normally charge in the summer for six months off-season?  That would cost a fortune!

[/quote]

Well, obviously not, no we have a low season too. I meant a discount from that.