Scams!!! could someone explain the objective please?

scarfish

Hello everyone,

Please excuse my ignorance, but Iv'e read a few threads relating to "scams" and "moody bookings" from doctors for e.g. and various other types....from Scotland and Africa and all over...

Could someone explain to me exactly whats going on please? It seems some people are making booking enquirys, for Gites and Chambres etc, with false info and details..... OK, can see that part of it.

Question;   How exactly, and at what stage are these people ripping you off ?    Do they make a booking, actually show up and use the Gite/Chambre, for the time specified, then not pay? or pay with dodgy cheques or something?.....or is it a little more complicated than that?

love to know what's going on, 

regards to all,    A. fish with a scar. Confused [8-)]

Generally speaking, a cheque either for the entire cost of the holiday or the deposit arrives but is over the amount agreed between owner and guest. The owner is encouraged to keep the cheque to ensure his anxious client that the holiday is booked and merely write another in refund to the guest. Guess what happens next...?!

Most of these involve sending you a cheque, and persuading you to do something like refund an excess payment or pay a commission or other fee. Once you have done that, the original cheque turns out to be worthless.

Others may involve subtle ways of getting you to reveal your banking details; in theory you should have some protection against those, although that doesn't seem to be the case if your name is Jeremy Clarkson.

Edit - it seems eos and I posted at the same time.

The scammers send a cheque payment exceeding the required amount, usually with some excuse along the lines of "I'll need the extra cash to hire a car..."

The gite owner banks the foreign cheque, the bank confirms all is well, but another an email arrives, saying "Sorry, I have to cancel. Please pay yourself for the trouble and send me a cheque for the balance."

The unsuspecting gite owner sends a cheque back, but three weeks later, gets told by his bank that the foreign cheque has bounced... His own cheque hasn't, and he is put of pocket...

The enquiry e-mails from "scammers" are usually easy to spot and often full of doubtful English. They often want to book rooms for several couples at a time and they seem to come from people who call themselves Doctors and church Ministers who reside in Nigeria, Canada, U.K. (dodgy address details and e-mail) and elsewhere. Some of the enquiries are quite entertaining but DO NOT REPLY ever, if you do they then have your e-mail address and as others have said never give your bank details.

• 5 weeks later...
These scams are not new. One just has to be aware that they happen. I will give you an idea of what someone tried to pull on me. I make solid wood furniture and decor. Someone contacted me and wanted to order 6 of my servers. I do not begin any job until I have a 50% deposit and it clears my bank. This guy supposedly put a checque into my account for 48,000, which he only owed me 6,000. I called his bank to see if the checque was good and was told right off the bat, to report to the police as this was a scam. I spoke with the guy, not letting him know I knew anything, except that the bank had called and said the checque had bounced as a result of a stop paymant being placed upon it. He claimed he would get to the bottom of it with his accountant and wanted me to keep the 6,000 and put the balance back into their account, this was before we knew it had been stopped. I told him I would have to wait until the checque actually cleared the bank before doing so. I was out nothing, and they got nothing in return. You just have to have a little common sence and these people will not be able to take you to the cleaners.

Liz