Cleaners/Caretakers

Tia

I have recently purchased a house in France and are thinking of renting it out. How do you go about finding someone to clean the house each time someone has occupied it and look after it and what sort of costs could I expect to pay.

This topic interests me as well and some cursory searches of this Forum have resulted in lots of information.  From what I can see prices quoted vary between 11 - 30 euros per hour and there are conflicting opinions as to whether you can employ neighbours to do that job informally, or whether a registered cleaning company should be used.  Any updated advice on the subject would be welcome!

I think that the difference is related to:

*Are you renting weeks out or merely wanting a minder for you?

*Are you well connected locally, good with 'phone French' and with some flexible time if owt goes wrong ?

And BTW dAVIESZAK whereabouts are you.? My place is also in 66. See web link.

Good luck

John

Thanks for replying, John (fantastic views from your villa, by the way!).  I am in dept. 34.

I need to find someone locally who would be the keyholder and who could prepare the house for occasional visits from friends and colleagues (ie. not on a weekly basis).  I have met a few nice local people and could ask if they knew of anyone suitable to do such a job - but of course, it's always a bit risky (and most probably not legal!).  I am really not sure of the local going rates for such jobs either!

Anna

I had the same problem when we got our house. I posted on the forums and got some responses. In the end I got a British ex-pat who lives in the village to do my keyholding (pool cleaning,translation and communications too). A local lady who cleans the post office to carry out the laundry & cleaning service and a local gardener to come in for one hour every Saturday to mow the lawn. All recommended by the Mairie. Total cost per changeover is around 70-80 euros. They are all very reliable and only work when needed. I consider it money well spent. The French / English speaking caretaker is the key. But employing French locals rather than just ex-pats was a must for me to help with the P.R. side of things. I didn't want to have 'just employing their own' levelled at me. This way I put something directly into local employment, as well as the economy too.

So would you say that the first step is to go to la Mairie and ask for recommendations?  Would one have to enter into formal things like contracts, get insurance etc or can such jobs be treated less informally and just paid for hours/jobs done?

Mairie is an option, depends on what works for you.

My gardener has a siret number, caretaker is pretty informal but as he is retired I doubt if he would earn enough to fall into tax, Cleaner is self employed. All covered by my Public liability insurance as I get receipts.

I only pay for hours worked.

Hi Tia, very simple really. I live in the UK and so insured through 'Insurance For Homes Abroad'

My insurance covers people working at the house and domestic staff. It also offers public liability etc, buildings and contents cover. The cost depends on what level re-build and contents value you have. Mine costs me £188.00 PA including swimming pool cover.

Hi

My husband and i run a gite cleaning service in dept 47, 24 & 33.

You need to consider laundry. Not everyone is willing to wash and iron, even if they are willing to clean and garden.

It would be cheaper for you to get a 'package' deal. Pool, garden, cleaning, laundry, and maybe caretaking through the winter.

You can narrow down your costs to once weekly visits(pool). with two on change over week.(pool + garden on Fri & Cleaning and beds on Sat) laundry can be carried out in the week at a per person cost.

You will pay more for meet and greet because the caretaker is effectively 'on call' especially if flights are delayed or they decide to stop for lunch or the supermarket - so avoid  this if possible and leave a key hidden on site or get a key safe.

You will undoubtably make money ( we have our own gite and have been in this sort of hospitality property management in the UK for 20 Years) But you need to also concider insurances for gite activity. and the amount of breakages, which can sometimes be disheartening.

If you want to pick my brains feel free. Its quite good sometimes to get an unbias perspective to help you try and employ the right people for your place in your area. Just PM me.

Regards

tonkatilly

I would have loved for someone to offer me a package but unfortunately no one in my area offers it. There are very few Brits owning Gites around us so guess it is not viable. Also my bookings run on variable dates, the hot summer climate means sometimes once a week for the pool is not enough and I like the flexibility and customer care my caretaker shows. Now if someone did do a complete package near me then I may have reconsidered. Having said all that I would prefer to employ the local villagers as it shows a willingness to contribute to the community.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...