Is it just them?

Just Katie

I quite enjoy reading the experiences of gite/hotel owners on this forum such as the current thread "Is it just me?"

However, life is a two way street and I wonder if  there as many accommodation providers who are as clueless, rude, opportunist etc as the guests which are often discussed?

A few years back I accepted a tariff from a lady  to rent a lovely gite for a week .  When we were about to book, she had slipped an extra 250 pounds into the price.  When I queried this, I was told that it was for the hire of the towels.  After telling her I did not want them, she got all uppity with me and told me that her towels were lovely, white and fluffy.  Hardly 250 quids worth of enjoyment in my experience.  She ended up losing my booking because she really started nagging me about the towels to a point which made me feel uncomfortable.  I mean, can you imagine staying in a place like that?

JK ...........

On the assumption that your talk of £250 isn't a wind-up, I'd say that your experience was completely abnormal.

We needed to arrange accommodation down here for a large number of people recently and as a result, 'recce' quite a few places in order to give people a choice (sounds a bit 'government', doesn't it?)

Anyway, with one exception (which we didn't put on 'the list'), the gites and CdH's were all of a very high standard, reasonably priced, with very friendly and welcoming owners. I just hope that none of the people who booked were anything like some of those described on here.

If you're in that business, you must see all sorts, but my impression is that 95% of the time, it works well for both parties. 

[quote user="Just Katie"]A few years back I accepted a tariff from a lady  to rent a lovely gite for a week .  When we were about to book, she had slipped an extra 250 pounds into the price.  When I queried this, I was told that it was for the hire of the towels.  [/quote]

[blink]

[quote user="Phil and Pat"]... plus 10 cents for use of cruet ?

[/quote]

At 250 quid for towels, surely the going rate for use of cruet (like it [:)]) is at least 25 quid?

I'm going to have to revise our pricing policy.  [;-)]