Is it just me

Boiling a frog

So you got out the tent and said okay, that's fine?  [Www] [:)]

There are places that will do this however - I know of British run chambres d'hôtes who will put down inflatable mattresses and stuff to squeeze people in.  Seriously.  But it's not my kind of thing, I'm afraid.

[quote user="cassis"]So you got out the tent and said okay, that's fine?  [Www] [:)][/quote]

They were bringing their own inflatable mattresses, but I told them my insurance would not allow me... such a shame... [Www]

I have had them just turn up with 'forgotten' babies and in one case a granny.  "Oooh look Granny sneaked into the car with the suitcases!!" 

Mrs 10.00 am now coming at 14.00 mumbing 'Ce n'est pas normale'.

Weddings - don't even go there!  Group of charming young men from Paris peed on bedroom floor last year and brought their copains back for showers.  Couldn't understand my ire - funnily enough French friends also just did Gallic shrug and 'C'est la vie!'  Well not in my house it isn't.  Anyone else do that and I'll rub their nose in it.

Cerise, do you think you might be more suited to training dogs and cats than to running a B & B?  Don't be offended, I'm only having a joke with you.

I can understand totally your wish to "rub their noses in it"!

[quote user="Cerise"]

Group of charming young men from Paris peed on bedroom floor last year

[/quote]

Piss-poor habits are not limited to young Parisians - an old Welshman left a huge pool of pee on the bathroom floor when he left a couple of weeks ago.  He also kindly deposited his cigar butts liberally around the flowerbeds (the ashtrays we provide were clearly inadequate) and his empty cigar wrappers and packets made a superb decorative addition to the lake.  He and his wife and friends did leave a very nice message in the guest book and said they would be back. 

Think again, mister. [:P]

It gets better.

A new enquiry.

Price for 9 nights commencing a Friday till the following Sunday .they state in their enquiry that the know the price for one week is xxx euros and they expect that it will be less than that because altho it is for 9 nights there is only two of them.

So we are meant to loose three 7 night booking (normal Saturday to Saturday) for one 9 night booking at less that the normal weekly rate.[8-)]

I have explained in the reply that altho we would accept changeovers on days other that Saturdays these are for last minute bookings but would be willing to accommodate for the normal weekly price of maximum occupancy plus an extra 400 euros.

[quote user="Boiling a frog"]

Enquiry 4         What king of dogs do you have ,our children are frightened of big dogs.

Answer            Small dogs yorkshire terriers..

[/quote]

I am surprised no one has argued with you regarding "yorkies " as being  "king of dogs"[:D][;-)]

we have a large pile of sand in our garden for building work we are doing so we will call it a sand pit for these visitors

Just be sure there's no cat crottes in it... (and that they don't spread it all over your yard so it's unusable...experience speaking).

A moaning thread! I love moaning threads!

*waits for all the affronted people who ask: 'Why do you do it if you hate your clients so?*

When we did B&B we often had overspill from a lady who was far better situated for passing trade. One day she sent us a family of Italians. They arrived. They inspected all the rooms (3) thoroughly. Thye looked inside and under the beds and behind the wardrobe. They asked me to remove a small spider web. They all went to the lav. They all washed. They then got into their cars and said they were going out to eat. I insisted they leave their suitcases here. They stayed one night. I rang recommending-lady the next day - "Haha!" she said. "Fussy buggers, weren't they. I got fed up with them and sent them on to you!"

On the other hand she once sent us a Dutch couple on a large motorbike for one night (she didn't fancy them, either). They stayed 10 nights, delightful people, and the lady even cleaned up someone else's sick after a rather alcoholic barbecue.

But we all remember the problem ones...

And, of course, they didn't complain, did they, Cerise?[:D]

Joking apart, I often think that I prefer cats and dogs to humans.  In fact, I often turn down invitations to things like bbq because, quite honestly, I'd rather spend time with my dog.

[quote user="Jo Taylor"]

On the other hand she once sent us a Dutch couple on a large motorbike for one night (she didn't fancy them, either). They stayed 10 nights, delightful people, and the lady even cleaned up someone else's sick after a rather alcoholic barbecue.

[/quote]

So ... about this drunken barbecue ... do you really think that was a proper way for you to behave in front of the guests?[:-))]

[quote user="cassis"]You're lucky - makes a pleasant change from all the people with fouines in their attics.
[/quote]

[:D] You must not do that. It does disturb OH late at night when I guffaw loudly.

[quote user="cerise"]Anyone know which bit of afternoon 10.00 am is.  Person arriving 'late afternoon' Monday has just informed be that she is arriving 10.00 am.[/quote]

At least she took notice. Our arrival time is 4pm - 8pm. Had people say they'd arrive at 1.30pm. Told them no, 4pm - 8pm. They arrived at 2.15pm. I hid [6] (then continued sorting out / cleaning / bedmaking through the back door while they waited until 4pm out on the front lawn, aagh).

[quote user="cassis"]So ... about this drunken barbecue ... do you really think that was a proper way for you to behave in front of the guests?[:-))][/quote]

Yes, absolutely, it's the only way to cope sometimes [B]. It was a good night, though - we even had a gatecrasher, no mean feat in the backside of beyond. Chap staying in a house about 2 miles away heard us playing music and turned up with his guitar!

In answer to the OP - I would have deleted this enquiry at the off. Reading those questions, and relating, makes you wonder why people bother leaving their homes at all.

By the way; Yorkies might be small but they are known 'snappers'.

• 2 weeks later...

Our current guests score the highest for the number of questions we have been asked.

They booked both gites for a wedding party back in January and have been asking questions on a twice weekly basis ever since. They made a special trip from the UK to see the place and after looking around for an hour seemed satisfied and left. 3 days later they rang to ask how many bathrooms it had?

I had 3 phone calls to ask if there were hairdryers and irons. I confirmed there were but suggested they elected one party member to organise and communicate with the others. They are all cousins. On arrival of the first couple she showed me the hairdryer and iron she had bought just in case.

They requested directions from Arras but then informed me they were coming from Lille and would I oblige with more directions, on arrival it appears they had come direct from Paris.

They have actually come from India, USA, Australia, Belgium and the UK. The lady from India is walking around in a flimsy sarhi and complaining she is cold and has the heating on full blast and it is 23°C.

They have requested daily maid service? and yes it turns out they all have servants in India.

I guess these guests are unusual but on a more serious note we do get bombarded with questions by enquirers and guests alike these days and it is difficult and time consumming to handle. Maybe we should politely point out that they are booking self catering accommodation. If they were booking a hotel they would not get the level of service we gite owners provide.