Assurance responsabilite civile

le rouge

I am trying to rent a gite for 28 people (all adults) in October and have been asked for a photocopy of my 'assurance responsibilite civile'. If this is liability insurance why am I being asked for it? Is it a requirement over a certain number of guests as I have never been asked before?

If I need it can someone let me know how I go about it

Thanks

p.s. originally posted this on French Legal Issues which was probably not the right place so reproduced here

Hi Le Rouge, Since you haven't had any other responses, this might help a bit...

I needed a document to show 'responsibilite civile' cover for a private event (birthday party) in the local salle des fetes. The company who provide my buildings/contents insurance said that short term cover outside the home (gite holidays, salle des fetes etc.) is included in the household policy. They printed off a letter for me free of charge.

So, as a first port of call, ask your insurance company.

Yes it is liability insurance. The owner wants to make sure you are covered for any damage done to his property during your stay.

It is usually requested for holiday rentals, although in most cases, it is included in most house insurance policies in France (assurance villégiature).

As an example, a random Google search brings up this one:

https://www.elviatravel.com/produits/..., although it specifies that for number over 10, you need to call them.

Thanks Ame and Claire. I have a property in France so could contact my insurers. However I am just one of a party of 28 in this booking and dont really want everything to fall on me. I am the one doing the booking of the gite mainly because I speak French! 

• 2 weeks later...
don't panic - just because the reponsibilitié falls on you doesn't mean you will have astronomical bills next year!

My teenager broke a sheet of glass at the "salles de fêtes" last year - the insurance covered it under my house insurance - so nothing to pay, and no elevated premiums for this year either!:)