Rental deposits and deductions

Kingdingaling

Hi

A difficult one for me but maybe straight forward for others

We rented a property out long (ish) term and took a deposit.

They have now left and we although tidy it wasn't 'clean' and took a good couple of days to clean (not continuously) ready for next arrivals.

Also a couple of things electrical broke, they say as a result of storms.

Apart from cleaning charges we have asked for half towards replacing the electical items.

They are not happy about this and to be honest I am not either but why should I have to pay everytime something is broken, I have not included everything damaged.

What are you thoughts

[quote user="Kingdingaling"]Also a couple of things electrical broke, they say as a result of storms.

Apart from cleaning charges we have asked for half towards replacing the electical items.

They are not happy about this and to be honest I am not either but why should I have to pay everytime something is broken, I have not included everything damaged.[/quote]

I would suggest that anything that has not obviously been damaged by mishandling or abuse probably needs to be considered to fall into the category of "fair wear and tear" and thus is the responsibility of the landlord. Things that have been broken as a result of eg being dropped, certainly you ought to charge for them.

Regards

Pickles

^^^ exactly. If something is obviously "broken" through misuse or rough handling, then charge them, however if it has merely stopped working, you cant really blame the renters.

So far this season, regarding electricals, a big-screen telly, a toaster and a dvd player have broken here while at the hands of guests. The dvd player was the only one I charged for, as they had snapped the loading tray - obviously misuse. However the telly (different guests) wasnt obviously broken, it just wouldnt switch on. If it hadnt hapened to these guests, it would probably have happened to the next ones, the telly went faulty and nobody is to blame for that, so no reason to charge for replacement. The toaster refused to latch in the down position due to the catch mechanism being worn out - fair wear and tear that cant be charged to any particular set of guests either.

[quote user="Kingdingaling"]Hi

They have now left and we although tidy it wasn't 'clean' and took a good couple of days to clean (not continuously) ready for next arrivals.

They are not happy about this and to be honest I am not either but why should I have to pay everytime something is broken, I have not included everything damaged.

What are you thoughts
[/quote]

Would you consider it excessively dirty or just in need of TLC?

Regarding damage, we had a toilet seat break, no deduction as I did not consider it was stong enough. Button broken on the television, can't blame the guests wasn't strong enough.

Broken jug on the coffee maker, yes needs to be replaced at cost, I have broken two of the jugs very thin glass but it still needs to be replaced.

One set of guests broke a pool chair and without prompting replaced it, like wise another with the coffeee jug (informed us afterwards).

I feel if people cared they would tell you that something was broken and ask you what would you have them do, keeping quiet and letting you find out is always going to raise the blood pressure and what do they think will happen?

[quote user="Kingdingaling"]2 internet routers broken within a week (they say due to storm!), have asked for half payment towards one

[/quote]

If there have been storms in the area it is entirely possible that ADSL modem-routers could have been zapped, especially if they are not protected from surges from the mains or from the phone line. Otherwise, it is pretty difficult to kill modems any other way in my experience. Do the modems look like they have been tampered with? Have their power supplies been abused - eg being used to power something that they shouldn't?

Regards

Pickles

Surge protector on a router is definitely needed. I would go as far as to say that a router is not fit for purpose without one.  Perhaps that depends on location, but near mountains...

Got through quite a few routers, before Orange decided to provide a surge protector FOC with the rented Livebox.  Sometimes didn't even see the storm, it must have been somewhere further down the line.

[quote user="Kingdingaling"]In our case

Toilet seat broken

2 internet routers broken within a week (they say due to storm!), have asked for half payment towards one

cleaning charges

[/quote]

I cant comment for the cleaning - that depends on what you asked of them, what the contract says, how dirty it was left and what arrangements you have for cleaning charges.

For the damaged goods, I dont see how you can rightfully claim anything at all. Unless the 2 modems are physically broken, or have had drinks spilt on them, then I cant see how you can blame the guests for them failing, and IMO expecting them to pay is just not on. If I were in their place, I would certainly refuse to pay.

For the chunty seat, again, I fail to see how you could charge them - it would take a bit of effort and a slightly retarded personality to deliberately break a bog seat, or break it through misuse. You will have to write that off as wear and tear too.

Oh, and I forgot to say - if at all possible, try to locate your modem away from the reach of guests. Either in an adjacent building, or in a cupboard or roof space - wherever you can put it that gives easy enough access to you for maintenance, and still allows wifi reception. Also, consider just running an ethernet cable to the gite and having a socket mounted on a wall and leaving an ethernet link cable for them to connect with if they dont have wifi capabilities, rather than them plugging directly into the modem. I found that there are plenty of "experts" who like to fiddle with the modem, pressing buttons and changing settings etc, then complain to you when it doesnt work.

Dave.

Regarding the non latching toaster it is probably one of the one that for safety reasons uses an electromagnet to hold down the mechanism, one single crumb is enough to cause failure, give it a damn good shaking or walloping, if that fails take it apart and clean it.

I had to do mine regularly before it finally gave up the ghost for other reasons.

Yep sounds exactly the same as my bargain basement toaster which I think came from Champion, I'm sure they all come from the same factory in China via the same grossiste in Belgium via the same Grande Distribution in France.

I was sad (and poor!) enough to faff about drilling out the tamper resistant screws wrecking the casing in the process and then having to make new fixings.

I am pretty sure that I wont change when (or should I say if) I finally become minted.

My sister managed to murder 2 hoovers (25 quid  jobs from Tesco) and missed the toaster (on top of the microwave) and tried to make toast in the m/wave.....pooey - she has holiday appartments herself so dimwittedness no excuse.  I have just about forgiven her because her OH knocked down a wall in my gaff (as requested[:D]) and made the stairs to the attic safe.

But if you can't trust your own family to use their noddles, no-one is safe[:)]

Fi