What is "normal"?

5-element

What interesting answers there have been to 5-e's query.

But, how about this?  A gite that we stayed at in Brittany have emailed to ask whether we would like a free week's holiday in the gite we rented last year in exchange for keeping an eye on their cats (whilst they themselves went on holiday)?!

Yes, I know, the owners aren't friends or anything like that.  I think it was because she was soooo impressed when she came to see if we'd settled in within an hour or so of our arrival. that I'd already thrown a big, thick cover on her settee as we had the dog.

Also, wherever we have stayed, I have always hoovered, cleaned the loo, the shower, the kitchen, the everything and OH has polished the glass in the woodburner and emptied out the rubbish.

What I love about gites is the privacy, flexibility, as mentioned by Coops and, like 5-e, I enjoy cooking stuff that I have brought and OH doesn't eat meat and the dog likes to eat with us, etc etc.

I've only stayed in gites twice and both times were very happy experiences.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I have always hoovered, cleaned the loo, the shower, the kitchen, the everything and OH has polished the glass in the woodburner and emptied out the rubbish.

[/quote]Now, I'm not at all sure that that is normal![:-))]  Whilst I would never leave a place in a mess, there is no way it's going to be any cleaner than when I turned up.  Sounds like the antithesis of a holiday to me.

[quote user="sweet 17"]I have always hoovered, cleaned the loo, the shower, the kitchen, the everything and OH has polished the glass in the woodburner and emptied out the rubbish.[/quote]

You sound like us Sweet :).

We also leave all the herbs, condiments, oil, flour, tea, coffee, milk, bread and even stuff for a basic meal in case they didn't have chance to go to the supermarket etc.  We also leave washing up liquid and washing machine /  dishwasher tabs etc.

Back to the OP's question first. We take €150 deposit with the balance due 8 weeks before arrival; if the booking is within the 8 weeks before arrival we take full payment on booking.

Our gites are aimed at a very specific market and are not rated - we decided this would be meaningless - and having read the rating requirements were concerned that they rated the presence rather than quality of facilities.

We take €100 deposit on arrival to pay for damage (not simple things like a broken glass or other trivial matter but for a new mattrass if red wine were spilled on the bed for example). So far we have not had occasion to retain the damages deposit. We hope guests will leave the gites tidy but each gite gets the same level of clinical cleanliness regardless of how the previous guests left it - it just seems that most people have enough pride not to leave them in a mess!

My OH spent 30 yrs in hotel industry management (mostly at the high-end establishments); as you might imagine she feels that the standard of facilities and cleanliness in gites can very from excellent to absolutely abysmal. She also considers the GdeF ratings a joke! As she says, no quest should find any evidence that anyone else had ever stayed in the gite - they should be spotless.

As for convenience items, we give guests a welcome basket that contains items to the value of €15 along with topping up the condiments, toilet roll, bin bags etc. Since most guests arrive on a Saturday this gives them enough to keep going until the shops open on Monday. Seems to me parsimonious, especially when a couple are paying nearly €700 for a week, to skimp on low-cost items that make the guests feel welcome and welcomed.

Yes we also leave a condiments cupboard which renters add to and we occasionally 'prune'. The variety is nice.

There will generally be rice pasta soup etc.

To not leave toilet rolls is disgusting.

We also leave spare bulbs, fuses, a torch, maps...

However we only expect guests to leave the place 'reasonable' as we pay for a changeover clean. We do like it if they point out breakages as it is nigh on impossible to inspect everything.

slightly off subject but another option is to find a B&B that offers guests use of a 'coin cuisine'........we have many guests who have stayed with us in gites who now come to the B&B as they get a very generous buffet breakfast which for many gets them through the day, they don't have to go out to eat every night as they are welcome to bring food in from the traiteur & free to make drinks whenever they want.  Our 'coin cuisine' is well stocked with coffee, a selection of teas, milk, water & there are 2 fridges for guests to share + a microwave.  So almost self-catering, but with some added bonuses......  we are fortunate that all our rooms open onto a huge terrace, so guests can picnic outside their rooms in comfort.  No restrictions on them bringing in alcohol - we provide all the glasses, crockery, cutlery etc....so almost a home from home.  We don't offer evening meals, but if you find a B&B that does table d'hote as well..........to my mind that is the ultimate comfort.  I know of several chambres d'hotes in our region who offer this service.

You are all making me rather sorry that I am not going to your gite/b&b!!!!

As for the cleanliness aspect, another advantage of a hotel for me is that I don't feel so inclined to manically clean up the whole place before leaving (which I would do in a gite, as I tend to be a bit like Sweet17 in that respect). OH and I have different standards, and I take to over-compensate for his more casual approach.[blink]

Well, Mrs Elephant and Sweets, inreturn for a free few days at Chateau Banana, will you leave it spotless? I must warn yoyu in advance that it would be a challenge. For example, Coops is dining here in ten days time and I have already started to chip off the first level of crud!

[quote user="woolybanana"]Well, Mrs Elephant and Sweets, inreturn for a free few days at Chateau Banana, will you leave it spotless? I must warn yoyu in advance that it would be a challenge. For example, Coops is dining here in ten days time and I have already started to chip off the first level of crud![/quote]

That's fine, as long as you don't give Coops food poisoning and then she won't be able to finish her tour!

Testicles for dinner? Yum - right up my street.[6]  Although the human variety is more tasty, I'm told.[:P]

The idea of somebody cleaning their house in anticipation of my arrival is very funny. 

As I say, I'd never leave anywhere I rented dirty, but on the other hand I don't expect to ever leave it cleaner than I found it.  I do, however, leave all the usable food etc which I have left over, for the next person, as long as it's not stuff that goes off.