What essentials are required for a holiday let and would it be worth it?

Mrs Trellis

We have not sold our old house, will put it on the market when we have time to redecorate. A friend knew someone who wanted to rent it and is taunting us with how much money we have lost but I'm wondering if a holiday let would be less hassle than a 3 year contract.

It's a 2 bed village house so wouldn't be expensive. I suspect these days renters require all mod cons and a high standard of furniture, and electrical item. (Better than we were happily living with for 5 years!). Any thoughts on whether it would be worth the effort?

Just thinking we might cover the cost of taxes, water and electricity bills but keep it free to sell (can always hope!)

I don't have any experience in renting out properties, but as someone who has rented holiday lets in the past, I think it's pretty simple.....you get what you pay for. If the rental price is lower then people will be ok with less fancy furniture etc. We've always rented small properties, not been interested in pools and expensive fittings (always more worried about breaking something then!) and ended up staying in some interesting places at great value - some more eccentric than others!. There will be some people who won't give your place a second glance, but some that will be actively searching for a smaller/cheaper property.

Don't under-estimate the need for spare bedding etc and the work involved in changeovers, even in a small property.

As to whether its worth your while.....some money coming in has got to be better than nothing hasn't it? Why not try advertising it and see what happens - if you get a few weeks booked than you'll have a better idea perhaps of how it might work (or not) for you.

Lou

EDIT you asked what essentials are required - somewhere to sleep, somewhere to sit comfortably, somewhere to eat, decent supply of hot water, option for heating if evenings are cold, enough equipment to cook and eat with (and in some places we've stayed in this has been limited to a hotplate and microwave - and we've managed though I wouldn't say this was ideal). Never been bothered with things like dishwasher or washing machine or tv, though with only two of us its not hard work perhaps these things are more important for a family.

Your local estate agent may also be in the holiday let business if you are in a holiday area and will advise and provide an agency service for you.. When I bought my place the agent was keen to show me all the keys  hung up of property that he acted for owners in letting out for holidays .

Thanks for helpful replies. We don't expect luxury when hiring a gite, just somewhere clean and with the basics for cooking and sleeping) and in a nice situation/area.

Our village is attractive and has bakeries, reaturants, bars etc.

We'd have to kit out the kitchen and get new bedding and a double bed.

The one thing that did occur is that if you sell after renting, you pay a huge Capital Gains Tax, so could lose more than the gain in rent. We would expect to make some profit after 11 years and a fair bit of improvement to the house.

The local estate agent closed - not a good sign! But she really didn't make much effort.