Would an18- kilo washing machine take.............

mint

a winter weight double duvet?

I've decided to ask this question on this forum as you owners are at the sharp end, the coal face, where the action's at, etc?

Let me explain.  I have a couple of double duvets (couettes) and singles that I shall be putting into storage bags (discussed elsewhere on the forum) that I want cleaned.

I asked for a price at the pressing shop attached to Leclerc's and I now know that a double would cost 15 euros.

Then I drove past the self-service machines in Leclerc's car park and an 18 kilo machine costs just 8 euros.

So, my question is this:  how many duvets would such a machine take?  One double, one double plus one single, 2 singles, what and how many?

I'd asked my local British friends but the only one I approached said she took hers to the dry cleaner's, at which point I gave up asking as 1) I do not think dry cleaning is "clean" enough and 2) I'm not paying prices that equal the cost of replacing the duvets!

[quote user="sweet 17"]a winter weight double duvet? [/quote]

Last spring I washed our kingsize, mid-weight duvet, about 240cm x 220cm, in the 18kg machine available locally and it was better than good, it was excellent.

Then I used 1€ worth of drying, ie 10 minutes, in their tumble dryer before draping it over the dryer in our garden. Then I stored in away until winter. Totally worth the 10€ + 1€ cost plus a small amount of effort.

Sue

I agree do not force them in or they won't wash properly. And I  use liquid washing product too, not powder when using these machines. There is a selection of machine size at my local launderette here and I see which of the bigger machines a double will go into without being forced.

Ofcourse, you could do what I have done in the past when I had not got a launderette handy and wait until the hot weather and wash one at a time in the bath, (if you have a bath in your home, I have many friends who do not any more). Then both of you get an end each and wring them out well in the garden ( bit like making huge quantities of polenta and wringing it out in a big bed sheet). Then put them on the line and they dry very quickly![:D]

[quote user="Théière"]At €8 Sweets I wouldn't worry, if it's two washes that's not bad and if you ram them into one wash the water won't get round nicely so they wont get cleaned so well.  A double duvet when wet must surely way 18 kilos.

[/quote]

Thanks, Teapot, and everyone else.  With Firefox, it appears that I need to quote somebody before I could post a reply[I]

I will wait for a warm, sunny day (ah, there's the rub) and take a duvet down to see how it goes[:)]

Thanks again!

[quote user="suein56"]

Last spring I washed our kingsize, mid-weight duvet, about 240cm x 220cm, in the 18kg machine available locally and it was better than good, it was excellent.

Then I used 1€ worth of drying, ie 10 minutes, in their tumble dryer before draping it over the dryer in our garden. Then I stored in away until winter. Totally worth the 10€ + 1€ cost plus a small amount of effort.

Sue

[/quote]

I second that!

I can do our single duvets with synthetic filling in the WM at home without any problem, one at a time.

The double, king and super-king (all feather/duvet-filled), I take to the local laverie automatique, where I settle in with my Kindle and a bottle (of water!)