Well water

aj_dr

LAST EDITED ON 14-Jun-04 AT 01:17 PM (BST)

Not sure about that.

I have known people fill their pools from wells, rivers and lakes.

If you chlorinate well (chlorine shock the pool if need be) and run the filtration for a while, I cannot see any harm but what, if any regulations are in place, I am not sure about.

Don't forget to regulate the Ph levels as normal either.

Miki

This is exactly what I intend doing (as soon as I finish the pool. I have not tested the water, but I have drunk (quite alot) of it (& I never water my Scotch).

I asked our Mairie & they told us that the water that came through our well was ours to do with as we wished.

Have you considered just how much money you will save by filling your pool from a well?

Nick
http://www.aplaceinfrance.com

We are not connected to the mains and only use water from our underground spring. The water has to run through a softener and a filter then it is fine and is tested annually so that we can drink it. We also use it fill the pool.

As far as the pool is concerned, filling from a well should be not be a major problem, rain water falls out of the sky dircetly into the pool after all, but you will need to watch out for:

1. Dirt and stones
2. Algae! Especially if it is an open well, you might find yourself investing in a lot of Chlorine
3. Deposits around the water line depending on water softness
4. Ph can change dramatically every time you top up the pool

You could end with a lot of work to save a relatively small amount on your water bill.

Good luck

LAST EDITED ON 17-Jun-04 AT 11:06 AM (BST)

this may be more to do with local restrictions on well usage usuage rather than water quality. In some place installations of new wells are forbidden and there may be restrictions during the summer. All our mains water comes from a well in the village pumping station, which is tapping into the exact same source as our garden well.

regs

Richard

I was very pleased to see this thread.

We plan to use our well water (when the darn pool finally gets here!) but the question I would like to know is about the water table.

We are surrounded by lots fields and cows and the nice farmer uses his wells (v adjacent to us) to water his stock. If all of a sudden we start using the well to fill-up/replenish our pool, plus water our lawns/flowers/weeds etc - this will have an effect on him no doubt, does anyone know of any law or issues that we might encounter. I am sure the farmer is a reasonable man, but I would just like to be prepared.

I know in the UK if you start messing around with the water table and farmers they get cross.
Deby