Chemical or salt

Jonzjob

We are, hopefully, about to buy a house with a 9.5 X 4.5M pool. At the moment it is a chlorine type pool. Does anyone know if it is possible to change this to a salt pool? I know that the maintance on a salt pool is much less and we don't really like chlorine anyway!!

John.

Hi

The salt pools have a very low concentration of salt. They work by producing chlorine from the salt water via electrolysis.

It is not too expensive to change from a chlorine "tablet" type treatment to a salt treatment system.

If you really are against chlorine (it is at much lower levels than public pools, but can still irritate sensitive eyes) then think of using Bromine tablets instead.

I've got some notes about pools here : http://tlp.netfirms.com/pool.htm

Bonne chance

Peter

One other point to consider: if the pool is heated or if you plan to heat it, then for a saline pool a titanium heat exchanger is necessary (salt water, even at the 0.6% used in pools being highly corrosive at elevated temperatures). These can be expensive - about 900€. That said, we went to the expensive of fitting heating at both our properties, and having had the experience of saline systems, I would not want a chlorine based system.

I have sensitive eyes but have had no problem with my salt pool.you can also reduce the level to 3 ppm which is generally enough to protect your water and has little taste or smell.salt is automaticlly connverted to chlorine while use of tablet addition to pools is a bit tedious.

[quote]If you really are against chlorine (it is at much lower levels than public pools, but can still irritate sensitive eyes) then think of using Bromine tablets instead. Oh ahh did they used to put it ...[/quote]

You can always swim with your mouth closed ?

Peter