how long does it take to build a pool?

candide

Ordered and part-paid for a pool in August 2005 for the following summer.  End of June 2006 and pool company are still not able to tell me when it will be finished, and we are already half-way through the season.  What can I do?

Difficult to know what to say really, other than what you would in any other country - camp out on their doorstep (but if it's not finished by now, then it's already a gonna).

If you're not resident, then you've definitely had it for this Summer and thus in to litigation. 

Bad news all round.

Have you paid them for any more than they have completed?  I'm just wondering what their reaction would be if you said that unless they restart work by x date you will employ someone else to finish the job.  I guess it depends on the detail of your contract.  

Have they actually started the work yet?

If not, then I would just give up, ask for your deposit back and find a different company, and like the posts above, make sure that there are start and completion dates written into the new contract.

Are there any locals who can personally recommend another company?

Yes - they started the work in the autumn ! and unfortunately we have paid them for more than they have completed, so we have no option but tu finish it with them.  I will be on the phone every day, and will see them next week!  Thanks for the advice though.

Yes - I don't want to name any names.  They're a French company and are generally well regarded in the area I think.  And they definitely haven't gone out of business.  I think we've just been very unlucky for some reason.  It has been ridiculously slow and badly organised, but I'm still hoping we'll end up with our pool before the end of the season....