When do we install alarm?

our pool is being finished off and filled as I type....at which point should we, or must we fit an alarm? I suppose that even with a few inches of water in it, there is a danger (despite the fact that my french neighbours pool, less than five meters away from ours has no alarm!)

We have been told that we must have the alarm fitted by an installer, by law. If that is tha case why do they sell them in the shops?

[quote user="barneysfriends"]

our pool is being finished off and filled as I type....at which point should we, or must we fit an alarm? I suppose that even with a few inches of water in it, there is a danger (despite the fact that my french neighbours pool, less than five meters away from ours has no alarm!)

We have been told that we must have the alarm fitted by an installer, by law. If that is tha case why do they sell them in the shops?

[/quote]

Unless you want the alarm going off; wait till the pool is filled.[Www]  You don't need to fit an alarm, you have a choice of  4 conforming pool security, alarms, covers, fencing and abri, and yes; you are required by law to have conforming pool security.  Sounds like someone is trying to earn extra bucks, you may fit the (conforming) alarm yourself just follow the installation instructions.

We had one, now we have a conforming fence and gate....... we have toddlers visiting.

So much debate about pool security, it is an emotive subject. Best for all to be safety concious. The French are not exempt from the law.

Apero[B]

[quote user="barneysfriends"]

[/quote]

That may or may not be the case - 'Poolguy' will know.  But the reason they're sold in the shops is that many (most) pools already existed before the law came in to being in Jan 2006 (for private dwellings).

[quote user="Gardian"][quote user="barneysfriends"]

[/quote]

.......... But the reason they're sold in the shops is that many (most) pools already existed before the law came in to being in Jan 2006 (for private dwellings).

[/quote]

[:-))]   In your opinion. [B]

Apero .........

Suggest you re-read my reply.  I honestly don't know whether an installer is required to fit an alarm for new installations, but that seems to have been confirmed by a subsequent post (and it would make sense for that to be the case).  All that I said definitively was in answer to the question "Why are they now sold in shops?"  The answer wasn't opinion, just logic (or to put it bluntly, blindingly obvious).  

Please let me clarify.

The law as it can be translated is that:

an alarm (in fact any compliant device) shall be fitted in accordance

to the manufacturers instructions, and an attestation to which should

be available from the person who did the installation. Now this in no

way precludes anyone from fitting the alarm. What it does do is level

the responsibility for the correct working of the alarm to the

installer, viz; they must follow the instructions.

If there is an incident and the alarm is not installed correctly or

specified correctly then the installer will be included in any action

which might be taken as a consequence.

I hope that this is clear.

However, there are other circumstances where this might change, for

example, during the sale of a property for instance, the buyer might

insist on a 'professional attestation' for the installation - I would

judge that reasonable.

I think that you all know that I do not approve of alarms as the sole

form of protection, I would recommend and prefer that my clients use an

alarm as a backup or second level of security to another form of

compliant security.

Andrew

[quote user="Gardian"]

Apero .........

Suggest you re-read my reply.  I honestly don't know whether an installer is required to fit an alarm for new installations, but that seems to have been confirmed by a subsequent post (and it would make sense for that to be the case).  All that I said definitively was in answer to the question "Why are they now sold in shops?"  The answer wasn't opinion, just logic (or to put it bluntly, blindingly obvious).  

[/quote]

Well Gardian, you really should read mine, again. You can fit an alarm yourself, following the fitting instruction to the L E T T E R and security will be basic and compliant.  I do not have the opinion, that an alarm alone is sufficient; cheapest conforming security-yes, penny pinching security-yes, together with one of the other 3 forms of conforming security-better-yes. 'Why are they sold in shops'-because; they can be is the definitive answer, which is logical.

Read 'poolguy' respons; which says it all.[B]

Apero