Losing Chlorine?

ali-cat

Hi All.

This is our first season with a pool and getting used to the cleaning, chemical dosing regime etc.  While our pool is fine at the moment,  I do not seem to be able to keep the pool chlorinated.  I'm using Javel plus chlorine lent galettes in the skimmer boxes - but generally what happens is I test for chlorine, find none,  dose up with Javel and a few days later it is all gone again.  Plus our roller cover is constantly covered in algae where I would have thought that a sufficient level of chlorine in the pool would keep it fairly clean. I'm not testing for cynauric acid which I know I should be so don't know if the problem is low or locked chlorine.  Presumably the test kit (DPD tabs) just tests for chlorine concentration and not 'free' chlorine.  Alternatively - does Javel contain cynauric acid and if not could this be while I can't maintain the chlorine level?

Grateful for any help.

Ali's OH.

we use the multifunction (4) tablets that you can buy from most retailers, aqua systems at Saintes is our prefered source, had no problems, had to shock it a few times during a 12 month period otherwise spot on

Never have used javel, and use the liquid in two sereate vials ans the paper strips to test the levels

good luck

Phil & Kim

Ali

No your not doing anything wrong, you should keep up your regime but I

fear that, as a consequence of the persistant rain that you cyanuric

acid levels have dropped or dropped out altogether. In which case you

will need to check the levels and top up if required. Alternatively if

its too high then chlorine is being blocked so you will need to dilute.

I am presuming that you have not put anything other than javel and

chlor lent in the water in the last year. Have you?

Contact me directly if you are unsure or need more help.

Andrew

[quote user="Poolguy"]Ali
No your not doing anything wrong, you should keep up your regime but I fear that, as a consequence of the persistant rain that you cyanuric acid levels have dropped or dropped out altogether. In which case you will need to check the levels and top up if required. Alternatively if its too high then chlorine is being blocked so you will need to dilute. I am presuming that you have not put anything other than javel and chlor lent in the water in the last year. Have you?

Contact me directly if you are unsure or need more help.

Andrew

[/quote]

Only a dead horseshoe bat in one of the skimmer boxes which I deny all responsibility for[;-)]

Mark

Forgot to ask.  Am I correct that eau de Javel, even at piscine strength,  contains no cynauric acid and that while the clor lent does,  I'm probably using too little to buffer the chlorine?  If so is cynauric acid a standalone product?  I don't recall seeing it anywhere?

Mark

Ali,

Until PoolGuy gets back online, (I think he is supposed to be on holiday) I will answer your questions as best I can, but PoolGuy is the expert here.

Yes, Eau de Javel does not contain any cyanuric acid. Chlor lent and chlor shock normally do contain it.

Cyanuric acid is a standalone product, commonly sold in pool shops as stabiliser (stabilisant) but make sure  you read the label first, it will have the indgredients in small print somewhere.

I asked for Cyanuric acid in several pool shops and they wanted to give me ph minus. Perhaps it was my accent.

JJ nothing to do with your accent. Loads of pool shops know chlor, PH and temprature and if you ask for anything else you will get blanque looks, oh yes and the gailik schrug

Cyanuric, TA, TDS, phosphates, forget it. They will give you the blanque look again...

I have not come across cyanuric acid as a stand alone Ali Cat, but if you look for 'dichlor', commonly known as 'chlor choc' or 'chlore rapide'. It comes in granuels or tablets and is a chlor product that has the cyanuric acid stabiliser in it. But you do need to check the cyanuric level before you start upping it...

Good luck!

Jonzjob is right, most pool shops are pretty clueless.

The product I have found is made by Mareva, and is called REVA-KLOR Stabilisant Special Chlore.

It comes is granules, Mareva are a big make so should be easy to find, they also have a website www.mareva.fr

The French for cyanauric acid is Acide Isocyanaurique, well that what is looks like in very small print.

But you could just use supermarket Chlor Choc which also contains it.

Jonzjob is alos right that you do need to test before adding, I use the CoolPool Tester, which is a great piece of kit, it works as a photometer, and there are various models, the one I have tests for free chlorine, ph and cyanauric acid, I got mine from PoolGuy, and I am very pleased with it, it takes out the guess work when reading samples.

You can also get a test for Cyanauric Acid on those multi test test strips, but I do not rate there accuracy very much.

Hope this helps.