More Hot Tub Than Swimming Pool Question

tasng4

My wife and I have bought a wooden hot tub with a wood burning stove (approx 1.8mtr dia X 1.2mtr deep) but we don't know anything about bacteria prevention, we've bought a small tub of chlorine powder/stuff but are a little concerned that come winter when we empty the tub the chlorinated water will either damage or kill our plants.  We're on a fosse septique so cannot drain into a sewer.

So a list of questions:

1. Is it OK to use chlorine?

2. Are there any other alternative/better solutions available?

3. How long can one expect untreated water to last

4. Can you get testing kits to help determine how poluted the water may be.

Regards,

Neil.

It's a tricky balancing act getting the chemicals just right. You can get testing strips such as these which test for free chlorine, ph and total alkalinity. You need chemicals which will ajust all of these things and you need to test every day or so. There are now alternatives on the market such as Aquafinesse which are enzyme based and very much easier to administer than chlorine in that it's a single weekly treatment and doesn't need any testing- but they are quite expensive.

There's no problem in emptying the tub on to lawns - I always do.

Richard T

[quote user="tasng4"]

My wife and I have bought a wooden hot tub with a wood burning stove (approx 1.8mtr dia X 1.2mtr deep) but we don't know anything about bacteria prevention, we've bought a small tub of chlorine powder/stuff but are a little concerned that come winter when we empty the tub the chlorinated water will either damage or kill our plants.  We're on a fosse septique so cannot drain into a sewer.

So a list of questions:

1. Is it OK to use chlorine?

2. Are there any other alternative/better solutions available?

3. How long can one expect untreated water to last

4. Can you get testing kits to help determine how poluted the water may be.

Regards,

Neil.

[/quote]

We sell three sizes of wooden hot tubs all made of cedar which has a fantastic resistance to bacteria - as indeed a lot of wood will.   It is why they say that wooden chopping boards are better than plastic.   It is a shame that you were not given full instructions on how to take care of the tub, as any reputable seller would have taken the time to go through all of this with you.   If I can get on my soap box for a second.   It infuriates me that people sell spas and tubs without giving the proper advice as these things need looking after as you are creating a small volume of hot water and then enclosing it which is an ideal breedign ground for bacteria.   When we sell we always, always spend time going through such things with our clients (hot tub controls, treatment, handling and storage of chemicals and water disposal) and provide them with a starter pack of products so they are at no risk from the start- off the soap box, now to help with your questions.

Do not drain into the fosse septique.   If you have no alternative then think about creating a soak away.  Depending on usage you should not have to drain down too much (I say this without knowing how often you use the tub, if it is in a letting property etc).   Never run chlorinated water onto plants etc as they will burn, if not straight away, over a period of time and they wll die.

Hot tubs are best kept full, so if you drain down to refresh the water, you are best filling again.   The tubs are only fully sealed when the wood is wet and has expanded.   Also, the winter time is the best time to be using a hot tub.   You can sit there smug in your warm soothing enviroment looking up at the night sky whilst all around everyone has closed down their pools and sip a nice glass of something (not too much as the alcohol gets around the body quicker and only use plastic glasses).   I woudl recommend keeping it full for the winter.   The running costs depend on what control systems you have.

You are better off using bromine in a floater if you have no chemical feeder.   Bromine is better suited to higher water temperatures than chlorine but is a slower disolving product.   So, the danger here is that after heavy usage the bromine has been used up before more disolves.   You should always test a spa or tub before use to make sure it is ok and then apply a non chlorine shock (oxidiser) afterwards.   This will kill any contaminents (costume soap residue, make up, urea etc) and give the bromine a chance to build up again before your next session.   If you do not shock afterwards you run the risk of letting all that stuff stew and bacteria to breed.   A quick rinse in a shower without soap before using a tub will get rid of about 80% of contaminents from the body before you get into the tub.

You may also want to think about fitting an ioniser as this will reduce your chemical dependancy and usage.

Untreated water can last days, sometimes hours.  It depends on many factors.   The only safe way is never to leave your water untreated.   You run the risk of creating an environment for all sorts of deseases, some of which can kill.   I hope this is not scaring you but it is one of the reasons why you should have been talked through your hot tub maintenance.   Garden centres and DIY sheds are notorious for poorly kept spas and hot tubs because of staff rotation, training,  motivation and turnover.   I never go near them in these settings just in case.

You can get test kits that will tell you if your spa is contaminated but they are not cheap and are 'use once and dispose'.   They will not tell you what is in there and the only way to find this out is to have it analysed by a lab.   Instead, you are far better off using a test kit to keep on top of the water balance and sanitisers and as long as you do this, you should be fine. Such kits come in all forms - test strips, tubes to use with droplets or tablets, electronic readers like Aquachek or Scuba+ and others.   The electrical ones are great because it takes the guesswork out of the colour comparitors with the others, especially if you are colour blind.   Water balancng is the key to a happy spa, tub or pool and of course, happy and heathly users.   Make sure your test kits read alkalinity, pH and chlorine/bromine at the very least.

If you want to know any more, post here, PM me or email me.